Ch.7

Jack's pov.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER!?" No one is answering. Now I'm screaming. Kaitlyn wont talk, or move, and now is refusing food. She's just sitting there.

"She is in shock. Please, calm down," the police officer tells me.

"Calm down?! You're kidding right-"

"Listen, I know how you feel but-"

"KNOW HOW I FEEL!? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN THE SITUATION WHERE YOU'RE JUST TALKING, HAVING A GOOD TIME, THEN YOU HEAR SCREAMING AND SCREAMING AND YOU COME RUSHING DOWN STAIRS AND THEN YOU SEE A GIRL, COVERED IN BLOOD, LAYING ON THE FLOOR, THEN THE PERSON YOU CARE ABOUT MOST CAN'T MOVE, TALK, OR EAT!?" The officer pursed her lips tightly and looked away.

"Yeah, I didn't think so," I breathed.

I run my hand through my hair. Now what? Kaitlyn's parents come rushing through the door. Wait, weren't they in Hawaii?

"We came as quick as we could. We took our private jet, but it still took five hours. Where is she, where's Kaitlyn!?"

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs..."

"Smith. Now where is our daughter!"

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we are having some problems," the officer tries to explain.

"What do you mean? Where's Kaitlyn?!"

"She's broken." My voice startles everyone.

"And who are you? ARE YOU THE ONE WHO BROKE IN!?" Her father yells at me.

"Actually, I'm the one who saved Renee, I was with Kaitlyn this morning."

"What happened?" Now her mother's eyes are watering.

"Yes, good idea. He should be questioned. What did happen?" The officer took out a notepad. I told them.

"I was with Kaitlyn when Renee came over, but I was in the pantry so she didn't see me. Then I went upstairs with Kaitlyn and she got ready to go shopping with Renee. I was still upstairs when Kaitlyn went downstairs because she didn't want Renee to ruin the trip with questions. I was gonna leave a few minutes later, when I heard screaming, just screaming and screaming and screaming. I ran downstairs and when I got there, Kaitlyn fell to the floor sobbing and still screaming. That's when I saw the blood. It was everywhere. When I saw Renee, I ran over to look for a pulse. When I felt one, I yelled for Kaitlyn to call the police. She did and while they were coming, I tried to stop the blood."

"And if he hadn't, she would be dead by now." The voice startled us. It was the doctor. He came up to us, cleaning his tools.

"You- you're the one who saved her?" This time it was a female voice. I turned to face her.

"I'm Renee's mother," she whispered.

The doctor nodded. "If this young man hadn't been here, neither would your daughter."

"Thank you, THANK YOU!" She mother ran up and hugged me. Her husband took my hand firmly in his.

"Thank you."

"Of course, she didn't deserve this."

"It was him." I hardly heard the voice.

"Kaitlyn." I rushed over and grabbed her hand.

"Who is him, sweetie," her mother asked gently.

"The man outside my window." No no no not him.

"WHAT DID HE LOOK LIKE!? KAITLYN, THIS IS IMPORTANT! WHAT DID HE LOOK LIKE!?" I asked frantically. She looked up at me, scared.

"He had jet black hair and was tall. He would always look at my window but I thought he was just admiring the house."

"No no no!" I'm crying.

"Do you know this man?" the police forcefully asked. I looked at her.

"Have you ever heard of witches?"

"What? You're one of them?" she gaped.

"Yes, and Kaitlyn is in danger because of me."

"Wait, but Renee is the one who was attacked," her mother started.

"Yes, but Kaitlyn was the target. I must go, I must find him."

"All of you must leave. Anyone who has anything to do with this is unsafe. Fly out of the country. Stay at hotels. Anything. But stay out of sight, he will kill you."

They all looked frightened. I turned to leave but stopped when I heard Kaitlyn speak.

"I'm coming with you." She tried to stand, but wobbled and held onto a chair for support.

"No, I refuse. It's too risky, you stay here."

"No, it's not your choice-"

"You are staying here," I say firmly. "You will hide and-"

"NO!" she screams. I'm taken back by her sudden outbreak.

"IT IS NOT YOUR CHOICE! I WAS THE TARGET. HE CAME AFTER ME! YOU DO NOT GET TO DECIDE WHAT I DO. I AM COMING WITH YOU OR-"

"NO!" Now I'm screaming.

"I WILL NOT LOSE ANOTHER PERSON I CARE ABOUT! I HAVE LOST EVERYTHING! I WILL NOT LOSE THE LAST IMPORTANT THING IN MY LIFE! I will not put you in danger, you cannot die."

"I won't, because I have faith that you will protect me. If you really care about me, you will let me come, because, like it or not, I care about you too. And I will NOT let you do this alone. I will be there every step of the way, and whether I'm safe or not depends on you."

"Alright then, come. But you have to do everything I say-"

"Jack, come on-"

"NO! YOU WANT TO COME, YOU LISTEN! You will do what I say when I say it, you will not wander, you will not speak in public unless allowed. You may not accept drinks or food. You will do as I say if you really want to come. This is my land, not yours."

"Fine. I will go pack"

"I'll help you."

As I started to walk up the stairs with Kaitlyn, her mother's hand caught my wrist.

"Protect the last thing we have left."

"With my life," I answer.