Pregnancy

The rain poured onto the windows, creating a flood of noise, similar to the beat of drum. Her heart was racing, as was her head. She paced the floor up and down, up and down, over and over again. How will he take it? Will he be happy? Can we afford it? How will we manage? She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, she pictured him. He never failed to make her happy. Suddenly she heard a click. There he stood blue eyes looking deep into hers, his blond hair was soaked, as was his clothes. "Oh, here, let me get you a towel." She offered, "Thanks, getting used to this true Irish weather?" He asked, his mouth formed that lopsided grin that never failed to make her breath catch in her throat, and her heart skip a beat. "Well," she said turning to look at the window. " It does sound nice." She smiled and tilted her head, still looking out the window. She couldn't see Tom behind her, his smile taking up his whole face and his heart swollen with adoration. 

They continued on in such a pleasant manner through dinner the evening, until it came time for bed.

She stood there, her hands grasped the mantle at the foot of the bed and her eyes were on Tom, who was sitting on the side of the bed. "Go on," he sighed, "I can see it in your eyes, somethings been bothering you all night." He looked up at her, so full of sympathy and concern that it was all she could do not to melt right on the spot. "Tom," she started, casting her eyes down to her hands, which lay at her sides, shaking. "A while ago I went to see Dr. Morrows." Her work as a nurse gave her ready access to doctors when it was necessary. She paused and looked up, to see Tom's face brimming with concern. "No, not that, I'm not ill." She added quickly, watching his face grow slightly more calm. Again, out of nervousness she threw her gaze down. Just get out with it! She rationalized. "Tom, I'm pregnant." She said voice shaking, her eyes searched his face for any sign of a reaction. A heavy breath escaped his lips and he reached a hand up to run through his hair. Slowly he stood up and walked over to her. "Pregnant?" He said, reaching for her hand. She nodded, too nervous to do anything else. When she finally looked into his eyes she saw them brimmed with tears and his face full of joy. "You mean we're going to have a kid? I'm going to be a father?" He asked, now his hands were shaking too. "Yeah, we're going to be a proper family" she replied. She reached up to brush a tear away, she hadn't realized she'd been crying. "Oh my god, oh my god," Was all he could muster, repeating it like a mantra under his breath. Then suddenly he pulled her into his arms and kissed her. Deep and true, the type of kiss you expect only comes from true love. He pulled away and knelt down so that he was eye-level with her stomach. He pressed his forehead against her nightdress and planted a kiss on her stomach before standing up again. He moved behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pressing his hands against her stomach. "You're going to be an amazing mother." He said. Pressing his cheek against her neck and her soft head of curls. "You're gonna be a great dad." She said, turning to face him. "But, we still have work tomorrow, baby or not, so shall we?" She said, nodding towards the bed. "Right, yeah, of course." He mumbled. Sliding over to his side and under the covers. Once the lights were out and his head hit the pillow he found himself plagued by a million thoughts and worries. "Sybil?" he hissed. "Yes, my love?" She said turning to face him, the call of sleep evident in her eyes. "How will we manage? Can we handle it? What about you or your family?" He rushed, stumbling on the words as his worst fears came tumbling out. "That, my dear, is a discussion for another day." She smiled and kissed him, deeply, calmly, tenderly before rolling over and slipping off to sleep. All of a sudden, his fears melted away and he was filled with the dreams of their happy family life.