Doorway to Life

Life is like a door.
It starts closed, you're nothing but a baby in a mother's womb.
Then it opens, you're born and you see just a glimpse of your future.
It opens more, you grow up, your past your childhood, you go to high school, college, and then you graduate.
It opens even more, revealing more and more of your life.
The door opens as far as it can, at this point, you've found a career, got married, had children.
Then it starts to close, you retire, get older, your children grow up and move on.
It's closing faster now, your partner dies, your children rarely visit, getting on with their lives.
It's closer now than ever, you can't take care of yourself anymore, your children put you in a retirement home, it's for the best, they say.
It's an inch away, you can't breath on your own, you can barely get up on your own anymore, your closer to death then you've ever been.
It shuts, the monitor goes off, beeping out of control, and it's the last thing you hear before darkness swarms your vision and you feel the cold hands of death pull you in.
So it stays shut, until someone pushes it open again, leaving many possibilities open, leaving a chance for life again.
So it keeps repeating, repeating over and over until the door is so weak, it rots.
Only then is the door at rest.