Chapter 3 - The chamber

Brad walked next to me. "You don't have to be afraid," he said again, "You can do it." He walked through the door on the left, where I had to go to the right. "Bye," he said, with his British-American accent. "Bye," I said. It had started now, and suddenly, all my nerves disappeared. Nerves, what would I need them for? Shaking my head with a faint smile on my face, I climbed the large, marbled stairs, which were covered by a beautiful red stair carpet, matching with the curtains.

"Abigail!" I heard a recognizable voice behind me, screaming my name. The voice of my hyper-active friend. "Conny, what a surprise! What are you doing here?"

She looked at me, saying: "I just wanted to wish you good luck, so, herewith, good luck!" She gave me a hug, before walking away. As always, she seemed as if she were in a hurry, although it had turned out just to be her character. I looked up to the hall and walked towards a closed, wooden door. I knew what was inside, but this was the first time I had recieved the permission to go there, to work inside the room which I had always seen as 'legendary', of course because of me not having permission to go inside. But now, even though I had permission, it still felt a bit strange, to just enter the room.

I knocked the door, and felt my hand protest against that because it had touched the wood too hard. Soon after that, I heard someone standing up from their chair inside the room and a moment later the door was being opened. Now, instead of the mahogany-brown color of the door, I saw a strange man who was short and fat, wearing some black clothes. For a second, he frowned at me, but soon that made place for a more natural, friendlier expression. "Hello," he said, "come on in."