Chapter 5

Chapter5

What waited for them beyond the hallway was a massive space that seemed to be the heart of the castle. To the left and right were stairs circling towards a balcony above. Below those, on the floor where they gawked, were entrances, pathways towards other rooms that had yet to be discovered. All around them, hanging on the wall, were huge tapestries of lakes, forests, landscapes. Vera felt oddly relieved that they weren't of people like other homes. She wouldn't know how to react if she saw an ancestor in art form.

"Smells like a closet in here," Nyx murmured as they stopped. Nothing got by the woman, even the bothered look on Vera's face. "Too bad your great grandfather isn't displayed on the wall carpets though."

"They're called tapestries," Vera said.

"Makes no difference to me."

Nyx continued looking around, standing like a sore thumb with her clothes. Vera, in the meantime, fitted quite perfectly with her navy blazer; chic, comfortable, a modern take to the Baroness' seat.

"I'm not familiar with the layout of the castle," she said after a while. "My relatives had relocated in California long before I was born. My parents hadn't taken me here for a visit either."

"Why are you telling me this?" Nyx glanced at her.

Vera stiffened. "I—"

"I know. I was just messing with you." Nyx shrugged. "Thank you for admitting it though. At least now I'm sure that you're as lost as I am."

Vera breathed out a sigh of relief. She hadn't meant to confide anything, much less sound like she was finally trusting the Price. But it would do well to get her unfamiliarity with the castle out of the way. It would only make their search quicker.

"So," she said after clearing her throat. "We know the necklace is in a room. Should we split and take our chances?"

"No. No, splitting." Nyx's eyes hooded. "What if there's a serial killer here?"

"I don't think—"

"I don't want you out of my sight."

Vera's own eyes narrowed as Nyx hurried to the staircase nearest them on the left. Had that meant to be a show of concern? Or did the Price not want her out of sight so Vera's demise could be her own?

Vera shook her head. What demise was this, and why was she thinking of such things? She was beginning to sound like her mother.

Nyx had made it to the landing of the second floor when Vera had managed to catch up with her. More tapestries were upstairs, but unfortunately, more space to cover too.

"Which way do you feel like going to, Lady Ashborne?"

Vera had no clue. So she pointed to the right, hoping they'd find something.

The first room they came upon could only be the study. Armed with a big oak desk in the middle, the room had floor-to-ceiling shelves, a big window that had red curtains, and a chandelier for when it got dark. The rest of the details were lost in luxury and exquisiteness.

"Nice room they got here," Nyx said while stepping inside. She'd left the door wide open so Vera could go right in. "Do you think the former Baron or Lady used their time to conduct business here?"

"Maybe." But there was doubt in Vera's voice. Like always, her mother had only given snippets, not the full deal. "Look inside the drawers," she said. "If I were to keep a necklace, I'd put it there."

The two of them got to work. There were a lot of rooms to cover, and Vera didn't want to think what would happen if they were caught there until evening, so she pushed the bothersome thought away and hurried towards the oak desk.