One Last Text- One Shot Competition: We Were Free

Chapter Twenty Two: We Were Free

We ran outside probably looking crazy, but then again we probably were.

I had just met Carter and he already made me happy. It took longer for me and Dean to get to know each other, but I already felt like I had known him forever.

We both had so much in common.

We climbed into my car and I sped out onto the highway. Leaving the hospital felt like the best possible thing to do. Carter agreed with me.

Carter.

I turned to him and he smiled and for the first time in a while, I smiled back at him. For the first time in a while, I felt happy.

Carter made me feel happy.

I sped up and Carter let out a yell. I rolled all the windows down and we screamed at the top of our lungs.

I felt so alive even when I didn't want to be.

He asked me why I was in the hospital and I told him about Dean. Dean, the boy I killed.

I never wanted to open up to anyone like I did to him, but he made me feel so comfortable. I didn't feel sad talking about Dean with him.

I felt like I could connect with him, like we were the same.

I asked him why he was in the hospital and he told me about his sister, Brinley. He told me about how she was beat to death. I told him I knew the feeling.

He pulled out a joint and we smoked and yelled at the top of our lungs. I felt free.

We were free.

• • • • • • • • • • •

I woke up to a nightmare. I wasn't having the nightmare.

It was my life that was the nightmare.

My throat wasn't even swollen and the boy was still in his room.

That's how I knew it was a dream.

Dedicated to @dairyqueens :)