Part 2- A pretty distraction

Dhruv sat on the kitchen countertop swinging his legs merrily, Avni admired him with a grin, waiting impaitently for her toast to finish. Shruthi stood infront of the counter, brushing Dhruv's hair affectionately. Neela and Aarav leaned against the table drinking their coffees.

"Mumma..." He tugged Shruthi's hand cutely, "mein phir se Neil uncle ko kabhi milenga?" Dhruv lisped excitedly, with a bright smile.

Avni PoV

Oh sh*t. Oh Dhruv... what have you done?

I bit my lip in anxiousness, squeezing my eyes shut in realisation and fear. I was refraining from facepalming myself.

Everyone's face warped in confusion and from then on I started counting down to my doom, the barricade of questions that would hurl my way.

"Neil uncle?" Shruthi di frowned in question and maa and jiju leaned forward in curiousity, "Wo kaun hai? Kabhi mila hai is uncle ko?"

Sh*t. Sh*t. Sh*t. I'm done for.

"Wo Mausi ki dost hai na?"

"Mausi ki dost?" Maa pointed her questioning gaze at me, her eyebrow raised.

"Yeh konsi dost hai aap ko Avu jo hum ko nahi bataya?" Jiju was grinning like a mad man, and I was terrified by the gleam of mischief in his eyes.

My lips parted but my words were lost somewhere, I don't know why the words were in a jumble in my head as if just the thought of him, the memory of his eyes had the power to leave me completely speechless.

I didn't know what to say, who was he? Nothing more than a stranger I bumped in to on the street, he didn't even know my name. But why couldn't i just say that? Why did my stomach have to flip like this? Oh god. I hate this.

"Hum usse park me mila tha papa!" Dhruv jumped off the countertop, messing up the hair di had just brushed and jumped in to jiju's arms, hyper with excitement. Now what new mess will this boy put me in to?

"Papa jhanti ho? Wo policeman hai! Wo bohot accha tha... par mujhe laktha hai ki wo mujhse zyaada mausi ko achha lagta hu..."

All their eyes were on me, staring me down and making my stomach churn in twisted circles more than it already was. I gulped under their intimidating gazes, god know what Dhruv would say next.

"Oh really mera baccha? Aise kyu laga?" Jiju asked Dhruv with a smile spread across his face.

Ugh... Oh no... I'm in trouble today...

"Wo poore saame ke liye... bus mausi ko dekh raha tha..." Nishaan giggled, and it felt like for a second, the whole word stopped still.

6 eyes piercing through me with endless questions and utterly shocked amused faces, I knew I would never hear the end of this. But then why wasn't that what I cared about?

Why did my cheeks starting flushing bright red at the thought that maybe he was staring at me? What the hell was wrong with me? Why was I acting like I was some sort of teenager?

I knew love was my weakness. That for me, love is a lie.

Then why did my lips want to quirk up in to a shy smile?

I sprinted to the toaster, grabbing the bread and trying to hide my bright pink face from my family.

"Hey Avu! Aise bhaag ne ki koshish mat karna!" Jiju said behind me with a chuckle, I closed my eyes in embarrassment.

"Avni!" Maa called. Oh damn it. I scrambled for my bag trying to divert my gaze from theirs.

"Avu don't you even think you are getting away without telling me who this new guy is!?" Di yelled in playfully irritation but I could hear them laughing teasingly behind me. "Avni stop right there!"