Chapter One

Kylah

The doorbell rings. At ten at night. I was about to go to sleep. Who the hell is at my door at ten at night? I heave myself out of bed and stagger to the door.

Heave and stagger are definitely the right words. I'm exhausted.

“Hello?” I ask the bright light hovering on my front porch. Wait. There's a person behind the bright light.

A flashlight. That makes sense. It turns off right as I realize that.

“Kylah Donovan?” asks the man behind the light.

“Yeah?” I reply.

“You're friends with Lina Callahan, correct?” he asks me.

“Who in the blazes are you?” I ask, probably a bit more rudely then I should have, but I'm exhausted.

I think I already said that.

Maybe.

“Agent Spencer Reid, FBI” he says, flashing a badge.

“Whoah, okay, you've got the wrong house, I'm going to go back to sleep now” I say, starting to close the door. Agent Reid pushes against it, glaring at me.

“Are you friends with Lina Callahan?” he asks.

“Yes, and I'm sure she didn't do whatever the hell you think she did” I grumble. “Couldn't you have waited until tomorrow morning to do this?”

“You're going to have to come with me” Agent Reid says. He grabs my arm, not roughly, but firmly.

“I think I have rights” I say. “I mean, you can't just make me come with you.”

“Fine” he says. “Kylah Donovan, you're under arrest for the murder of Lina Callahan.”

Okay, should've seen that coming.

-

Louis

“Damn it, Lou, you had to wake me up” Zayn says grumpily.

“Cheer up, mate” I tell him, grinning. “Free trip to New York! You should be jumping for joy.”

“I was dreaming” he grumbles. “You woke me up at four thirty in the morning.” I steal his sunglasses, and then wish I hadn't. His eyes are bloodshot. He is definitely tired. He snatches them and shoves them back on his face.

“Sorry?” I say meekly.

“No kidding” he says, leaning back on the plastic airport chair.

“You woke Zayn up” Liam points out. “You've spent enough time 'round him to know that when you wake Zayn up, nobody's happy.”

“Well, agent what's-its wants us in America ASAP” I say.

“He wants you in America ASAP” Harry corrects me.

“Well, I want you” I say. “If I'm going to be spending hours in the police station or whatever, I need my Haz with me.”

“You don't need Haz and Zayn” Zayn groans. “I don't mind being left behind. It's perfectly alright.”

“Why'd the FBI call you anyway?” Liam asks. I shrug. I barely knew Lina. I'm not sure why it's so important that I get to New York 'this instant'. What am I going to be able to tell the FBI? I wasn't even in the country.

Niall lets out a particularly loud snore right then. He's asleep in one of the plastic chairs in the airport. Figures. That boy can sleep anywhere.