Death

Death

A groaned escaped my lips as I took another bottle of beer. Today was boys’ night, I decided, and so I called my buddies but unfortunately Chase wasn’t at home. Tch, the damned boy. But since I’m close to him and is pretty much his brother, his mom let us enter and hang out in his room. Of course, we bought drinks and brought lots of movies, and the best on the list: we trashed his room.

I can’t wait until he gets home.

“Ah, Aiden,” His mother’s voice called as she opened the door. With a hiccup, I stood up and followed her after she beckoned me to. She handed me the phone when we exited the room before she smiled and walked back to the direction of the kitchen.

I blinked before I pressed the phone against my ear.

“Hey there, how’s my room?” Chase’s voice came from the other line.

I hiccupped again, “’S fine. Where’d heck ‘re you?” I slurred as I leaned against the hallway and slid down, effectively sitting on the floor.

“Really?” His voice sounded skeptical but I can’t really read him, y’know. Especially when I’m drunk like shit. Well, I’m not that drunk; I just can’t think rationally right now. “You sound drunk; Kylie’s not going to like that.”

“When’d you start calling her that?” I asked.

“I always called her that.” He replied.

I blinked, “Ah right. Why’d you call?”

“Just checking up to my room. Knowing you, you probably trashed it just because I’m away on a date and you’re jealous.” He stated sullenly with a sigh.

“You date?” I inquired. That was knew knowledge again. Huh, why is everyone dating now? Did Lili date someone two? No really, is it the lovers’ month that’s why everyone is with their lovers? Then why can’t I have any?

“Of course I do. She’s my fourth girlfriend, actually.” Chase stated exasperatedly but really, it just sounded arrogant to me because I have never been in a serious relationship except for the one I shared with Stu and that was not even the relationship. I’d only have night partners before and that’s the farthest thing I can share with them: pleasure.

“Isn’t that right.” I muttered, “Do I know her?”

“Yes.”

“Is she in our year?”

“Yes.”

“Our school?”

“Yes.”

“Does she know me?”

“Yes. Heck, what the hell, Den? Is this 20 Questions?” He exclaimed.

I raised a brow, my head had somehow cleared after talking to him for a while; he had that effect you see. “Dolt, we alternate asking in 20 Questions.”

He nodded; I know. Don’t ask how, I just know. That’s how he is, after all. “Then, I’ll ask you.” He paused and scrambling came from the other line before his voice came back, “What’d you think of Kylie? Best friend or pet?”

I blinked. Where did that come from? Pet? Best friend? She was both but…more than that. She’s my everything, I guess. My first love (until now), my first kiss (it was accident, I promise), my first hug, (family thing), my first holding hands (we were kids, alright), my first…nah, she wasn’t my first night but you get the point.

“She’s…” I trailed off and I knew I was already sober enough.

That’s when I heard a voice from the other line, one that I knew all too well. But it could have been the alcohol talking because I heard Kylie spoke before Chase bid goodbye and cut the line.

A part of me died then.