The aftermath

Legends die hard they say; but during the aftermath is when the heroes of the world really feel dead inside.

So much has indeed happened since that fateful day I cleansed the Great Deku Tree.

Here now, I stand tall before the many people of Hyrule who survived the long several year war that spanned across the kingdom and sent all the races of our fair land into turmoil. To my left The Princess of Wisdom alongside her guardian; the incomparable Impa of the Garash clan stood tall and regal. Then to the right stood the King of Hyrule himself, smiling like a proud father would. Which makes a lot of sense, for while I stand here before everyone, today is not about me. Today is the royal coronation. The day where Zelda will finally take her rightful place as The Queen that this land deserves.

From behind the crown her mother had been said to wear was placed atop her head and it was such a perfect fit that no alterations had to be made to the piece beforehand. I looked over her and had to take a soft breath to myself, she looked stunning. A tug in my chest made it nearly impossible for me to stand still. In that moment I felt the whole world stop and my being filled with happiness and love.

Blonde hair sparkling in the sunlight, eyes like the sparkling surface of Lake Hylia, and skin as fair as the fresh milk from Malon's quaint, homely ranch in the centre of the emerald green fields of her land. Today, despite the fact she typically tended to wear a pristine white and regal long purple dress, her garment for today was long and thin, flowing outwards loosely from the waist made with a beautiful pale pink fabric, accompanied by glittering gold trims that shined magically like the golden skultulas and the extravagant outfit was tied together with the complimenting soft purple accents on the ruffled skirting in swirls like magic, the image of the tri-force and the birds of old hand stitched onto the chest; the attention to detail was breath-taking.

The crown in itself was majestic. The way the sunlight masked the crown against her hair and the three stones shone beautifully, gleaming in the three colours of the goddesses. Once again, it, along with its wearer, was breathtaking.

Breaking me from my trance was an old voice speaking out to the crowd from beside me as the king moved forwards.

"Friends, Family, citizens of Hyrule. We are gathered here on a momentus occasion. I, King of Hyrule, officially stand down from my position and pass the prestigious role of Queen to my daughter, Zelda Vertis." and with a flourish he and the rest of us lowered to our knees, hands over our hearts as we bowed to the new Queen. Her voice rang out like a beautiful chime of bells

"Rise my citizens. May you never bow to I, or another, again." with that everyone rose and looked at her respectfully, awaiting her next statement.

She beckoned me over. "Link of Hyrule, kneel before me and the citizens of the land" she commended and I could only follow her wishes. Like I had done from the beginning. Lowering down to one knee I pressed my fist to my heart and lowered my head respectfully to the Queen and her people. "From hereon in, you shall not be known as Link, hero of time. But rather, Link Vertis. Prince of the royal family of Hyrule! Rise now Link and face your land" she stated, her old, golden crown was placed atop my head, the pink gem having been replaced with a purple one instead.

I stood in silence, body stiff with shock and faced the citizens of Hyrule. They all knew that I didn't speak, and so as my own greeting as the new prince, I waved my hand in a flourish, leading down to a bow before straightening my back and moving off to the side, seeming indifferent to the untrained eye however freaking out on the inside; I did not expect her to crown me the prince, though it makes sense seeing as she has no heirs to the throne as of late. He thought to himself, standing idly and awaiting the next thing to happen.