Zhang Gui Fei

Chapter 4

"Your servant's name is Wei Zhan" the bowing eunuch answered.

"If there isn't anything for your servant to do then your servant will take his leave." bowing he walked off in silence.

Xuhui slumped down to the ground, sighing in confusion. She was completely drained of energy, what just happened she thought to herself as she toppled her way back into her room breathlessly and closed the door. Removing her cloak, she hung it on a square stand and placed the flute under her pillow as she drifted off to sleep.

***

"Miss ... Miss wake up. You need to wash up and change since its time for breakfast. Here Miss, we already prepare warm water and a damp cloth." Xuhui's maids handed her a gold bowl filled with warm water as she started rinsing up to prepare for her new day at the boring courtyard which was in the centre of all the other buildings.

A few steps into the courtyard, Xuhui was immediately beckoned over by Zhang Shan Shan; approaching her, she sat down without a word and timidly ate. Huo Jing slapped the table, "Xuhui mei mei, aren't you being a little rude? You won't even greet us?"

Looking up Xuhui panicked, sliding off her seat and began apologizing. "I'm so sorry jie jie, I didn't know. I'll greet you now." Zhang Shan Shan watched in silence as she had her maids hand her cups of freshly brewed tea.

"Just because you're new here and part of the Qing family, you think you can be so insolent? Maids come, give her 20 slaps" Huo Jing commanded as she signalled the maids over.

Xuhui was subdued by several maids as the surrounding concubines began to gather, "You know what, since you're new and from the Qing family, I'll honour you and slap you myself" Huo Jing smirked.

She raised her hands and ruthlessly slapped Xuhui who was unable to oppose, next to her was Fu Lan and Ming Hua who were on their knees begging and crying for Huo Jing and Zhang Shan Shan to let Xuhui go. But no one did anything to stop Huo Jing, the other concubine's maids began attacking Fu Lan and Ming Hua.

"Wow she is so rude, she didn't even greet Zhang gui fei. Who does she think she is?" Someone said out loud; others turned and whispered in agreement.

Huo Jing continued to slap until Xuhui's cheeks were slightly swollen and red, her eyes were watering as she gritted her teeth, enduring the pain. Huo Jing smirked in pleasure as she twirled around, sitting back in her seat.

 Huo Jing smirked in pleasure as she twirled around, sitting back in her seat

"Xuhui mei mei, take this as a lesson. From now on don't go offending others. Hmm?" Huo Jing hummed

Xuhui sat on the ground with Fu Lan and Ming Hua next to her, "Huo Jing jie jie, I'm sorry. I'll be careful next time."

"You can leave now."

Zhang Shan Shan finally spoke, not even batting an eye at Xuhui who shakenly stood up and bowed before returning to her room.

As soon as Xuhui stepped into her room, Ming Hua and Fu Lan instantly closed the door and worriedly ran to their miss who was now sitting at her table.

"Miss, are you okay? Do you want me to fetch you some cream?"

Shaking her head, Xuhui smiled lightly, "It's fine, could you two go and fetch me some water?"

Fu Lan turned to Ming Hua in worry before turning to leave the room together. Xuhui furrowed her brows, lightly touching her cheek; it was hot and stung. So, this is what the palace is like ... so dangerous and cruel, she muttered to herself. However, even with such thoughts, her mind eventually drifted back to the man she met last night.