It's Not Warm When She's Away

The heat that waved off of the burning Kong Studios felt hot enough to level a neighborhood, but even so a figure stood dangerously close to it. With a proud stature that Nero likely held while watching Rome burn, Murdoc Niccals assessed his work. The studios were filled with hard work and memories, but the rum he was drinking numbed any sensation of sadness. He had no more room for sadness, anyways. A smile crossed his lips as he thought about the insurance money he had started this fire for in the first place.

Over the roar of the flames, he hadn't heard someone approach him, and so when a Japanese accented voice spoke from behind him, chills ran up his spine. Noodle...? But no, he realized a moment later that the tone was lower than hers had been. With a frown he turned to face the culprit, unsurprisingly seeing a total stranger.

The girl looked scared and confused, but that wasn't his problem. This was his property. "Oi! Didn't you read the gate? This is private property, kid. Get out of here now and we won't have a problem, got it?"

A look of hesitation crossed her face, but she didn't turn to leave. "Mr. Murdoc. I need your help."

He squinted at her. Why in Satan's name did she think he'd help her? He wasn't the type to be charitable, and he made that very publicly obvious. He took a final long drink of his rum before smashing the empty bottle on the ground. The close proximity that it had to the girl's feet made her flinch, but she stood her ground.

He bared his teeth in a snarl. "Get out! I'm not going to ask again. I'm not a bloody help center."

She blinked as if she may start crying, but after a shuddering breath, her expression hardened in one of determination. "Mr. Murdoc Niccals, I need your help locating Noodle and I will not leave until you give me the information I require."

Now he was the one to look confused. Was this some obsessed fan? He knew many of their fans were upset by Noodle's disappearance, but would one really go so far as to try to track her down? The mere mention of her name made him feel sick to his stomach. This girl had already taken things too far. He lunged forward to grab her arm; if she wasn't going to leave he was going to drag her off the property. Perhaps his alcohol addled brain had misjudged the distance, but the situation flipped on him quickly. Instead of him grabbing her arm, she had managed to get him in a headlock with lightning fast speed. He grabbed at the arm she had around his neck, but she held tight with a strength that didn't seem to fit her thin stature. Once again an uneasy feeling flooded his gut as he was reminded of Noodle.

"Gnck..Who... are you..." He could barely get the words out of his currently-being-crushed throat, but she seemed to hear him fine.

"Mariko Yamazaki. I will not let go until you agree to help me find my best friend."

Mariko... huh... that name had some ounce of familiarity to it, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Her "best friend"? Was she insane? Did she really think Noodle was her best- Oh... oh... that's why the name was familiar. He vaguely remembered the hours-long phone calls Noodle would make nightly, explaining them as being a friend from Japan. She had openly gushed about this friend to all of them, but Murdoc never really listened. But there was something... something about her being from the same supersoldier program? At least that's what he could remember, and judging by his current predicament, that was correct. But that didn't change anything, he didn't want to help her.

He let out a grumble, but Mariko was quick to tighten her grip to shut him up. The meager stature she had when she arrived was gone, replaced by a frightening ferocity. "You will help me find Noodle. I am not afraid to leave you for dead right here and now."

He clawed at her arm in desperation, but despite his ridiculously long nails, she didn't budge. Fine. Fine. "...fine." he choked out.

She let go and he dropped to the ground, wheezing for air.

"Where is she?" Her voice was tinged by obvious urgency.

Murdoc let out a very dramatic cough and rubbed his neck. "Sit down. It's a long story."