Chapter 3

Skye stepped out from behind Quinn somewhat tremulously, though she wasn't quite reassured by Vara's words. "This is unreal," she muttered. "Uh, greetings... Vara," she called. 

Vara peered down at Skye with eyes that had no pupils. "Greetings, Outerworlder," she said. "You bear the weapon; you are the Chosen One to defend Ilirande." 

Skye's eyes went wide. "What?!" she exclaimed. "Me?! Wait, there must be some mistake!" 

Quinn approached the great statue. "Skye, the chosen one?" 

"She is the One who will set all to right and restore life to Ilirande," Vara replied. 

"But... no, this isn't her battle. She shouldn't be involved in this. I am prince of Ilirande; it's my duty and responsibility," he protested. 

"You are under Ilirande's curse, Prince Quinn, and it is only she who can set you free. Your fate is intertwined with the land's. Even you are dependent upon her," said Vara. 

Quinn turned to Skye, brow furrowed, lips forming a grim line. He closed his eyes, pained, and shook his head apologetically. 

Skye looked at him, her heart aching for him in his plight. She looked back up at Vara. "Well, what would I have to do?" she asked, hesitantly. 

"You will find the knowledge you require in the Palace. Go now." Vara pointed with one large stone finger at the great doors of the palace. 

Skye shot Quinn an uneasy glance then looked up warily at the statue. 

"Enter, then, if you will," Quinn told Skye in a voice that was almost inaudible. "I know there is no evil within." He roused himself. "Tell me, mighty Vara-surely you must know-what is the current state of the land? And what of my mother?" he called up to the stone Guardian. 

"All you wish to know lies within, worthy prince," Vara replied, pointing still more emphatically at the palace gate. 

"I always longed for the honor of visiting my mother's birthplace," Quinn said, quietly. "I only wish it were under better circumstances." 

"Well, here I go, then," Skye said hesitantly. She led the way toward the palace. 

Quinn and Skye ascended the crystal steps and advanced to the great double doors of the palace. A magnificent tree was engraved on the doors of solid gold. Faces of the queens of ancient times were superbly engraved along the trunk of that great tree. 

Quinn tried the doors, but they didn't budge. 

"Well, how are we supposed to get-" Skye's question was cut short as the heavy doors suddenly swung open quietly but swiftly. The dark portal yawned before them. 

Before either of them could move, the darkness dissolved in brilliant green light shining in from behind them. 

Quinn and Skye turned to see the source of the light and discovered it to be the gems in Vara's crown and choker. 

Quinn turned about quickly and entered the hall. Skye followed somewhat hesitantly. 

They expected to see a hall covered with dust and cobwebs, but they were amazed to see the antechamber of the palace as clean as if servants had been caring for the place daily. One by one brilliant torches, glowing with iridescent light instead of fire, came on, lighting a golden walkway that led to yet another pair of large doors. 

"The Throne Room, I'll wager," Quinn mused aloud. "But what could we possibly find there that would give us any knowledge of Ilirande?" 

"Enter," Vara's voice boomed from outside.