Chapter 1

The hum of the fish tank filter and the tick of the clock were the only sounds to be heard in Dr. Killian's office. Skye watched him scrawl out something on his yellow legal pad and wondered whether he was really taking notes or merely doodling during the session. 

Dr. Killian looked up at her. "There are only fifteen minutes left of our session, and you've barely spoken a word, Skye. Isn't there something you'd like to say?" 

Skye met his gaze directly. "I don't want to be here?" 

Dr. Killian chuckled. "Yes, you've made that clear, Skye. But I'm here to help you, and I can't do that if you keep shutting me out," Killian reasoned. 

Skye scoffed. "You're here 'cause that's your job, and I'm here 'cause my father is trying to brainwash me into being the perfect daughter to fit into his new family portrait." 

Again Dr. Killian scrawled out something on his pad. "It seems that you think he's bringing you here to hurt you somehow. What makes you think he's not just trying to help you?" 

Skye rose from her chair and walked to the window. "He's trying to help himself." 

"Self-examination is difficult, Skye, but hasn't it occurred to you that you've been having trouble adjusting to your new life and family, and that sometimes we need a little help adjusting? Change is equivalent to growth; growth is painful," Dr. Killian said. 

Skye turned dark, flashing eyes to him. "Do you think you could adjust to your parent getting married only a year after being widowed to someone who can't stand you? How would you feel if you had a stepsibling who hates you and is forever trying to make you look bad, and works very successfully to take your parent's affection away from you?" 

Dr. Killian nodded. "Is that how you perceive this change?" 

"I don't perceive anything; it's reality. I don't fit into my father's new life. I'm the reject of the house. My stepmother is the queen now, and my stepsister can do no wrong in Dad's eyes. Me? I'm always being blamed for everything." Skye turned back to the window, her eyes welling with tears. "Since Mom died everything just submarined. But you know the worst part? It's like Dad forgot all about her, and like he expects me to forget about her, too." 

"Your mom will always be in your heart, Skye. Nothing will change that, but you have to move on. I think your mother would want that for you both," said Dr. Killian. 

Skye turned back to him, eyes narrowed. "Don't talk about my mother," she snapped. "You don't know anything about her. She'd be furious if she knew what goes on at home now-the way Grace treats me, how Dad favors Annie over me now, how I don't have a place in my own home." 

Dr. Killian made another note in his pad. "I'm sorry, Skye. I can see I touched a delicate nerve; I apologize. But I think this is good. We've covered more ground in these fifteen minutes than we've covered these last three weeks. Why don't we talk about something else? I know, let's talk about the dreams you told me about last time. You said they were recurring." 

Skye looked up at the clock. "Time's up," she commented. 

Dr. Killian smiled. "We still have eight minutes. Now, what about these dreams?" 

"What about them?" Skye answered evasively. 

"You tell me," Dr. Killian said coolly. 

"I don't want to talk about it," Skye replied. "In fact I'm sorry I ever brought that up." 

"Why is that?" 

"Because I know how you shrinks think. You're already convinced I've got issues. But I will say this: those dreams are the best damn thing that has happened to me since Mom died. Yeah, every night I do slip into another world-a beautiful world where I'm not in anyone's way," Skye answered.