Thirty-Five

Aderick POV

I was home.

My men and I - and our captive - were finally on the soil of Dahlsten land.

I inhaled deeply, letting the cold winter air and light snow enter my body. By the gods, how I missed the familiar trees that surrounded us. I breathed out with an excited smile on my face, I was ready to see my people, my home, and most importantly: my wife.

I knew she was going to have my ass. Rip me apart with her words and hot looks until there was nothing but shreds left. When I left, I regretted not telling her as we rode away to the east but I thought it was for the best. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I wondered what she would say. I did not expect to be gone for so long - far too many weeks being away from my new bride.

I would have to beg, grovel, and plead to let her listen to me. For her to understand that my overpowering need to protect her at all costs was my final decision to leave without telling her. I had to keep her safe. It was my first priority. Her well-being and happiness was my obsession.

With the many times that she has been in danger or brushing ends with death, I could not chance it.

Knowing all that I do now, the world seemed too dangerous for her to even step a foot outside of the manor.

My horse nickered as the edge of the village came into view, the tall gate peeking through the trees. My men began to murmur louder as the sight made us all relieved and eager to return to our home and kin. Feeling the excitement and slight dread curl in my chest, I clicked my heels against the horse to spur it to a gallop.

As we drew closer, I heard a call for the gates to be opened as we rode closer. The heavy wood heaved a groan but they widened just enough for all of the group to slide in before it shut with a harsh slam. I immediately began hearing shouts and cheers from my people as we rode through the village. The people piled out of homes and other buildings to greet us on our long-awaited return. Fathers picked up their children to place them on their shoulders to watch us parade by, the women clapped their hands. A small smirk crossed my face as the sound seemed to grow louder. My people were happy - which made me inwardly happy.

I nodded my head to those that we passed by. Turning my head slightly, I nodded to the twins and Dag as they responded in turn and led the captive away for the time being. They would handle him until I could return. I locked eyes with Kare, who tilted his chin at me in a wordless request. The slight tilt of my head answered him; he wished to help with questioning and perchance torturing the new captive. My head turned away as my eyes sought out the building where I knew my family resided and awaited me.

The rest of my group continued to follow me as we rode the hill that led to the manor; to my Britta.

Once we reached the pathway, I dismounted easily and had to restrain myself from running in, pushing everyone aside and gathering Britta tightly in my arms. But as the others abandoned their horses and began to walk to the manor at a hurried pace, I led my black beauty to a nearby tree to tie him.

Nerves ate at my gut, curling and snarling until my breathing became short and raspy. My hands were damp and I slid them quickly against my cloak. I felt as though I was a young child again, my nerves and wit long gone in a state of anxiety.

Was she at the front of the door, waiting for me? Or was she hiding away in our chambers, cursing my name black?

I did not know.

So why was I prolonging this?

I let out a deep breath before squaring my shoulders and finally turned on my heel to march towards the door where I heard numerous loud voices.