Chapter Three: Escapism

The caped crusader landed safely on top of the crumbling roof without missing a step. He retracted his trusty grappling hook and eyed the trembling, green haired male with a raised eyebrow. The only things the villain and hero could truly hear through their ear drums was the hissing of the broken pipe as flames engulfed it mercilessly, and the roars of the sea of flames below where a doll-like figure stood in confusion, soft, faint chuckles seeping through his teeth like little lies. Batman looked around, seeing if anyone else was around aside from the obvious. He sighed, no luck. Looking down, he removed his left hand from under Joker's hip and gently caressed his hand against the fiend's surprisingly soft skin gently, receiving a shivered whimper in response. Joker's eyes lit up instantly like a lightning bolt to a tree and set aflame. He moved his back away from the Dark Knight as he gave a dramatic gasp in shock.

"Batman?! Why are... What are you--?"

"Saving your butt," Batman said as he clutched Joker's chin with his left hand and sighed. "Look, we don't have time for this. Scarecrow could find where we are. Unless you feel like turning into a fried piece of green chicken."

Joker scowled at the somewhat rude comment and made a disgusted sound, opening his mouth and sticking out his tongue. He glared at Batman and shook his head. "You're not funny! Let's leave this hell-hole, already."

"Literally," Batman added as he looked around and slowly made his way downwards, swiftly and silently landing beside a trail of flames. In the corner of his eye, he could see a familiar silhouette, sending chills down his spine. He watched it walk towards the hero in an instant, making him cower and run towards the flames. Joker whimpered as he hid his face away from the scene, his eyes closed tightly, body shivering in fear. Batman looked down at the villain he carried carefully in his arms and bit his lip.

Joker sighed rather loudly and lightly punched the caped crusader's top right ab, giving him the obvious signal to run through the deadly flames. Batman braced himself as he heard the Scarecrow's loud footsteps become clearer and clearer. There were only two options: run and get burnt, or don't run and get possibly killed by the ruthless Scarecrow. Not taking the second option to heart, he charged through the flames like a bullet and didn't look back. Neither did Joker. As he kept running, he and the clown in his arms heard the loud shrieks of the Scarecrow as he ran forwards, following the Dark Knight even as he burned up instantly.

Running faster and faster, down large, open corridors and staircases, Batman could hear Joker's panicking breath as it hitched and halted from time to time. Of course, he should be terrified. If it weren't for the man in black, his life would have ended instantly, his entire body catching on fire as it turned red and yellow, skin melting and all. That would have been a horrifying mess, and even Batman knew that The Clown Prince of Crime, of all people, shouldn't deserve such a fate. No one should deserve it. He was glad to have saved his most hated villain, even though he felt his heart skip a beat, ever so slightly, in his chest whenever he saw him. Especially right as this moment.

Suddenly, looking up through watery eyes, Joker gasped as he hit Batman's chest hard and yelled at him to halt. The Dark Knight did as he was told, gasping in total fear. They were inches away from freedom, the exit door red from the hot flames as its blue LED lights melted into nothingness onto the red, tiled floor. But it wasn't the melted lighting that made Joker to suddenly jump into a sudden burst of fear. It was what was waiting outside. There, in the now darkening horizon, Batman could see the Batmobile close by, followed by a familiar figure, waiting like a vulture to a dead piece of meat.

Batman backed up, his eyes widened in terror. Robin must have unexpectedly moved the Batmobile up more for convenience, which was expected from the rather sweet, orphan boy. But the fact that he was close to the Scarecrow made his skin crawl anxiously, fear washing over his body like a cold shower, sending goosebumps all over. He didn't know what to do, what to think. All he could do was stand still with the villain in his arms, baffled by the sudden sight.