quatre

the night seemed to slip through the girls' fingers.

sigrid had spent the night on max's floor next to her bed, her dog the other side of her (they had decided, in the dead of the night, that his name would be honey), covered in blankets and with a soft pillow under her blonde hair. max had given her some sort of elastic band for it, which sigrid had stared at confused, first trying to stretch it over her head and round her neck, making max laugh and snatch it away from her quickly.

"no, no, no," she had giggled, taking the hair band and pulling sigrid's long hair back and tying it with the band "you use it to put your hair back. your hair is so long, it would get all messy whilst you slept."

sigrid hadn't noticed, but max's breath had become shaky whilst she did so, her heart racing from being so close to the girl.

then they had slept, sigrid amazed by the blankets and pillow, of which she had not had for as long as she could remember.

in the morning, once sunlight spilled into the room and the girls had been stirred from their sleep by the brightness, max realised she had no choice but to take sigrid to school.

"okay, sigrid, this might seem weird but I need you to come somewhere with me today, okay? I promise, I won't let anything happen to you, it will be one hundred percent safe."

sigrid thought about it, staring into max's pleading eyes. she sighed and finally nodded her head.

max grinned broadly, happy about the lack of refusal. she jogged over to her closet, pulled out some of her smaller clothes and passed them to the girl.

sigrid stared at them for some seconds before standing up and going to strip herself of the old, dirty clothes.

"ah- oh my god" max covered her eyes, shocked at the girl's actions.

"ok i'm gonna go talk to my step-brother. get dressed quick." she kept a hand over her eyes and left the room quickly, a blush creeping onto her cheeks.

sigrid continued what she was doing, although slightly embarrassed after understanding that you probably weren't supposed to undress infront of people based off of max's reaction.

the clothes she now wore were simple- white tee, loose jeans and an adidas jacket. sigrid looked down at the clothes she had been given, not too sure of the brands and fashions of the day. she brought her wrists up the her face, the soft material of the jacket over it. the feel of it against her cheeks was comforting, and when she pulled it back down the sensation of its feeling was still there.

"hey, let's go!" max's voice was hushed, and she grabbed her skateboard before ushering sigrid out of her room.