Breaking the heartbreaker's heart (a Helsa one-shot)

Nothing but white. Snow and Ice. It has, once again, filled the kingdom but it wasn't because of her. It was because of nature. Oh how she hopes the people won't blame her.

"I'm here, your majesty."

The queen's trance was cut short by the voice of the auburn-haired man who is now standing right beside her. Just like always, she straightened her dress and folded her hands on her lap to show her superiority and poise. The library's corners are covered in white which forced him to wear thick layers of clothes but not her. It didn't bother her at all. It never did. Her stare, as cold as the ice around them, pierced right through him like a dagger trying to take his life. Even so, he kept his posture to keep the little dignity he has left.

"You wanted to see me?" he began only to be answered by her deep sigh and the visible air that came with it. "I had to see you."

He didn't even dare to sit down especially when the only available seat is beside her. It's not because of his fear that he might turn into a solid block of ice but because of the pain that she causes him whenever she's around. "Go back to the southern isles."

His eyes widen at her painfully cold words. He can't even understand himself anymore but one thing is clear, he doesnt want to go back. Not yet, atleast. "Before that, I would like to apologize for breaking your sister's heart."

"Well," she covered her mouth and cleared her throat as she spoke. "I don't know about that."

He knew it would be difficult but he tried anyway. Anything to get her forgiveness. Anything. "I know what I did but-"

"We all do." she cuts him off as her anger began to boil. "But still," he continued despite the fact that her fists are already clenched. "I want you to know that I did it because I don't want to hurt her." She cannot help but chuckle at his words. It didn't make much sense to her but she wanted to give him a chance for an explanation even though he didn't deserve it. "You broke my sister's heart because you don't want to hurt her? How ironic."

"Yes, I know. I fell in love with another girl when I was with Anna and I didn't want to fool her." he scratched the back of his head as he braces himself for the storm that is ready to escape the queen. A blank expression crossed Elsa's face while a small blizzard surrounded them in an instant. The queen is obviously not happy with his answer. "But you did. You fooled her. You shouldn't have asked for her hand and marriage if you weren't sure about your own feelings to begin with."

Silence filled the room as thoughts continued to take over their minds. Hans shivered as he crossed his arms to keep himself warm but it didn't do any good. It's not that she wanted him to suffer, she just couldn't control it anymore. The anger, the hatred, the pain, everything. He could bring out the worst in her at any day.

"I'm sorry." he said in between shivers. The sight of her closing her eyes in displeasure just cracked his frozen heart in half. "Death is better than this." he silently told himself as he bowed his head while waiting for a response. While waiting for her voice.

"Sorry can't fix everything."

Elsa stood up from her seat and walked towards him until their faces are only a few inches away. She wanted to look at him in the eye, warn him not to mess with the snow queen or the snow queen's sister. "You're not going to get the forgiveness that you are after as long as Anna and I are alive. It would be for the best if you leave." he shivered once more. Her cold, icy tone did not change at all but he couldn't blame her. Even he couldn't forgive himself, how could she or anyone else?

"Before I go, I want to clarify something." he looked away, not wanting to see the rage that was building up in her eyes where it always ends. Elsa took a few steps away to give him some space as she gestured for him to continue and he grabbed that chance. "I know it's my fault because I was thinking of someone else while looking at your sister. I'll spend my entire life regretting that because she didn't deserve it."

She massaged her temple gently while trying to comprehend his sentences. In her mind, she's doubting every word that came out of his mouth but in her heart, she wanted to believe him. "I pity the girl who caught your heart, whoever she is."

"She actually looks a little like Anna but paler. Her hair isn't like Anna's but they both possess the same amount of beauty." he began while looking directly at Elsa's eyes which are still cold and emotionless like before. "I fell in love with her at her coronation but I already have Anna at that time. I tried so hard to focus my attention on Anna, only on Anna, but it was too late."

Elsa kept quiet knowing where Hans' words are going. She could see his hands tremble but she forced herself not to care for him. He is not her concern after all.

"It's you, Elsa. I'm in love with you."

No, she does not believe him. Not a single word from him. This time, he's the one who cornered her, leaving her defenseless like the little girl that she is. She lowered her head without uttering a single word knowing that even she can't understand the situation. For the first time in forever, someone froze her and it's him, the man who broke her beloved sister's heart. If what he is saying is true, then it can only mean that she's the culprit of her sister's despair. She turned away from him, forcing herself not to believe in his venomous words.

"You and your lies. No wonder Anna fell for you." she glared at him, secretly hoping he'll step back or even leave but her actions just made him move even closer to her. Hans, now only an inch away from her, remained still while looking directly at her icy blue eyes. The same ones that Anna has. Elsa wanted to move, to push him away and kick him out of Arendelle but she found herself unable to.

Suddenly, she felt his arms wrap her body in a tight embrace as he placed his head on her shoulder. Not just that, she also heard the his lights sobs and felt a few hot tears drop to her skin. "Enough, Hans. Don't cry." she whispered to his ear, hoping that he would understand. Even so, he didn't want to let go. Didn't want to let her go.

Elsa rubbed his back in a futile attempt to comfort him but he ended up hugging her even tighter. She isn't as cold some people think she is. In fact, she's the complete opposite of it. She cannot stand by and watch someone suffer, especially like this.

"Stop, Hans." she pleaded as she used her hands, which are surprisingly warm on his skin, to release the prince's hold on her. He hesitated at first knowing that it will most likely be the first and last time he'll be able to hold her like this once he let go but he knew he had to obey. His heart shattered like his sword when he was finally facing her with weary eyes. He knew it's the end.

And with that, he lost her.