Chapter 19

Chapter 19:

Astoria's POV

The cold barrel of a gun angled directly at my forehead was the first thing I saw once I had turned to face the dark monstrous figure.

"Drop your weapons," his deep voice demanded. My eyes quickly flicked to the two guards behind him and to Gabe next to me. The guard's posture tightened, his hands flexing around the trigger, his eyes watching me carefully. Their obsidian pupils contracting carefully as they mirrored my own. He knows I didn't come here unprepared. My hand shot up and pushed his gun to my side, the one opposite to Gabe for obvious reasons. The piercing bang of a bullet ricocheted away from me. I twisted his wrist until a satisfying crack followed shortly by a groan forced its way through gritted teeth as the gun dropped to the ground. I pulled his body up in front of me as a human shield, the two men too slow to react as I snapped his neck and pulled two throwing knives out of my hair and hurled them into their hearts. I turned round to face Gabe who was frozen in shock as their bodies slumped to the floor, crimson liquid oozing onto the floor.

You'd think they'd learn to wear ballistic vests considering the business they're in.

"We need to move quickly before the rest come," I ordered, picking up their guns and moving down the corridor until it widened into a large atrium overlooking one massive lab. I looked down at a number of white specks that covered the floor.

"There's no one here," Gabe observed, referring to the lack of guards. I looked around carefully before my eyes landed on a pair of guards standing before a thick metal door, a keypad to the side.

"There," I pointed to the door. Gabe nodded before we began our decent down the stairs. Once we reached the floor we slipped between the mini labs, avoiding the scientists focused eyes. We shared a look, our eyes communicating in silent harmony, before moving towards the guards. I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck, suffocating him until he fell limp to the ground. I looked up to see Gabe smack the butt of his gun to the back of the other guards skull before the heavy body collapsed to the floor. Turning to the keypad I nodded at Gabe before stepping aside and keeping guard. Moments later a smooth click came from the door as it cracked open. Raising my AK-47 I pushed the heavy door open and stepped inside, Gabe following. The second my feet passed the threshold I froze, fear striking through me.

"Fuck," we breathed in unison as our eyes landed on at least 20 guards covering the whole room. Grabbing his hand I turned to move back into the atrium to find another 20 guards had appeared behind us.

"What are we going to do?" Gabe asked, panic evident in his steel eyes. I watched the guards carefully, for any sign of their intentions but none seemed to move, remaining in their weapons raised, statue states.

Well, that's until a thick voice wove around the black figures in front of us, parting them like the Dead Sea. My originally frozen body seemed to enter a whole new state of deep freeze as his scorching blue eyes appeared in front of us.

"Welcome back, chiave."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Welcome back, chiave."

"Bastardo," I growled through gritted teeth, the weight of cold metal in my hands gaining a new significance.

"No need to be bitter," he smirked, his eyes flicking next to me. "Thank you for saving me the work of capturing this donnola, how kind of you."

I gulped, the darkness in his tone consuming everything around us like fog. The evil in his eyes making my stomach churn. His chuckle felt like icicles digging their way up my bones. I had a very bad feeling that he was going to use Gabe as a way to get me to talk, which would end up in him dying or needing life support because I have nothing to tell them.