Nola

Wind tossed Nola's hair around her head. She was glad of the shoulder-length cut she'd given herself a few months ago. It suited oceanic travel.

They weren't on the ocean yet, she reminded herself. But as far as she was concerned, they were. Despite living on the edge of a lake her entire life she'd never once ventured out onto it. Once they were out and away from the harbour water seemed to stretch for miles around. She could barely make out the shoreline to the south. To the north the familiar skyline of her hometown stung. She'd never seen it from this direction before. It was her first time leaving Verene. The city she'd called home had never once pushed her away. She'd always known it's charms, always appreciated it's beauty, even before her friends who'd themselves left and returned before they saw it in the same as Nola.

She'd sent an errand boy with a letter to her parents to explain the situation. Amongst all the chaos of the past few days she'd neglected to inform them of any of it. They were at least due an explanation as to why their only daughter had up and disappeared.

Arlan joined her at the bow. Together they leaned over so far Nola thought she might fall into the crystal waters below. She imagined herself manipulating the water, lifting it up above their heads and releasing it in a tidal wave of power on the ship. The thought made her smile, though she figured the captain might not appreciate people messing with his element.

Morto joined them too. She could sense Arlan tense beside her, but she put one hand on his wrist to calm him and it seemed to work.

"Thanks again, for back there. You saved my life," Morto said.

"I figured that was the sign."

"It was."

"Oh good. I'm kind of new to this." She watched a pair of seagulls swoop overhead.

Morto chuckled. Even Arlan smiled at the comment.

"And what is this exactly?" Morto asked.

Nola thought for a moment. She watched the seagulls head for the city's outline. She didn't know what to call it. Whatever this was, it was more than she'd ever experienced in her entire life combined. There couldn't possibly be a name for it. There was no way anyone could sum up the past few days in only a few words.

"It's an adventure," Arlan offered.

Nola smiled. That was exactly what it was. An adventure. This was an adventure and she was going to do her best to enjoy it. She was nervous and not exactly sure why she was doing it, but it was something. It was different from the past sixteen years of her life and from now on every day would be something new.

Nola looked out across the soft waves of the lake and smiled at the breeze. Clouds were forming overhead but she didn't care. With Morto and Arlan beside her, no crazed king could stop her.

THE END