eight: with friends like you, who needs friends?

A/N: hi. This one is 21k, hope you enjoy. ps if you find any spelling errors please point them out, this was long af to proofread and my eyes are dead mija.

***

Have you ever thought about what really happens in a hospital?

How many different kinds of treatment people are receiving and how many times they've had to return for it? How long they've been fighting or how many times they've given up?

Have you ever thought about how many times a doctor has had to tell a patient's family that it was too late? How many faces they've seen a similar kind of hurt etched into?

Have you ever wondered if it keeps them up at night? How many mornings they're able to wake up, say they feel refreshed and really mean it?

Lauren knows what it feels like to receive the news that a loved one didn't make it-but she can't imagine how it must feel to have to be the one to deliver that news.

To watch a stranger break down in front of you and not be able to do anything about it-not be able to change it. There's no turning back the clock to save them.

The word 'hospital' makes Lauren think of many different things. Sickness. Sadness. Machines. Fluorescent lights. Love. Compassion. Care. Death. Life.

Frantic heartbeats.

It's hard to imagine the amount of heartbeats that have echoed throughout the rooms and traveled the hallways. How many times they've sped up because something's gone wrong, or how many times they've ceased completely.

These four walls hold memories of so many different people.

Everything comes crashing back like a tidal wave the second Lauren steps inside. No matter how hard she fights, it drags her under; holding her captive only inches below the surface. Just enough that she's unable to breathe.

"Lauren, are you okay?"

She swallows steadily, counting to three in her head before she answers, "Yes."

"There's not too many people in the waiting room, so it shouldn't be too long," Hayley informs her after a quick scan of the room. "You go sit and I'll sign you in."

Lauren nods gratefully at her friend, dragging herself to the waiting room in search of a chair.

The TV in the corner of the room plays quietly while most of the people waiting flip idly through magazines or chat with each other. One mother sits with a sick child in her lap, his nose bright red and his face buried in the crook of her neck.

Hayley returns after a few minutes, sitting next to Lauren and rubbing her comfortingly on the arm. "It's only a check-up, in case you're nervous about that. I'm sure your ankle is okay. Does it hurt?"

"No, it doesn't." She raises her leg enough that her foot is a few inches off the floor and wiggles it around. It's much heavier since they've given her a medical boot to walk in so she doesn't put too much stress on the injury, but it feels significantly better than it did. "I'm not nervous about the check-up. Just remembering things I wish I could forget."

Hayley's eyes soften. "I'm here, Lo."

"I know," Lauren says through a weak smile, "Thank you for coming with me. You could have been preparing for your set tonight, but instead you're here with me. I really appreciate it, Hale."

"Of course, Laur. I'd do anything for you, you know that."

"Are you excited? It's not often that local DJs get booked to play at Solstice." Lauren smirks. "Then again, you are amazing at what you do, so it's not surprising they wanted you."