chapter 1

Alice and Tarrant cuddled together on the couch. Well, Alice was actually sitting with her back to one side and Tarrant was stretched out with his head resting contentedly in her lap while his unusually long legs dangling over the other side. Alice was reading from a book about the history of China. Tarrant never tired of hearing her personal stories of China and of learning more of that place. It seemed like an entirely different world to him. Of course, all the Above was different from him, but this China even more so since the people and their customs were so different than Alice's England, and London in particular.

After a while, Alice tired of reading and set the book on the side table. She smiled down at Tarrant, whose eyes were closed. Was he sleeping? She didn't think so because he usually snored softly when he slept. But he was so quiet right now. As she leaned down for a closer look his eyes snapped open.

"Oh, goodness!" she cried, drawing back and trying to catch her breath. "Tarrant, you startled me!"

His emerald green eyes danced with merriment and his white cheeks flushed with pleasure as he took in the sight of her large blue eyes, creamy neck, and low bodice.

"Sweetness, I do apologize, but I just remembered something. Something that I would like your opinion on. Yes, something that I would very much like your opinion on indeed!"

Alice's racing heart began to calm and she grinned when she saw where his eyes were focused. She playfully swatted him on the arm.

"Very well. What is this grand opinion of mine that you need?"

"I have a...customer. This... the customer wants to get married soon. But he left me with an order for a wedding suit but refused to specify colors for it. He...trusts my judgment. And since I trust your judgment I would rather ask you." Yes, that would work, he hoped. He had already made almost all of Alice's wedding things and he was ready to tackle the final large project; his own suit. And since he nor Alice worried about a convention he wanted his suit to be in colors that she would find appealing.

Alice frowned, a small wrinkle appearing between her eyebrows, and her lips pursed in thought.

"Who is this customer, Tarrant?"

"Uh...well, he would rather stay anonymous. He wants to keep this all a surprise. And he is someone who doesn't care what colors he wears as long as the suit is of the best quality." Yes, that was good.

"Well, in that case," Alice said slowly, "I would deviate from the usual white. He obviously wants something different."

"He does, indeed. But he insists he has no favorite color or colors. He just doesn't want white. So, what do you think, sweetling? Pink and yellow? Red and orange?" He purposely named hideous combinations so that she wouldn't agree with them. He wanted what she wanted.

"Oh, no!" Alice cried out. "Tarrant, those are horrible choices! I mean, I know you are the best in your Craft, but those colors for a man's wedding suit...no. Why not go for something that reflects the beauty of Underland? Why not go for something that reflects the beauty of..." And her voice trailed off as she gazed into his wide, beautiful eyes.

Yes. That would be perfect. Her favorite colors with Tarrant. Oh, if only Queen Mirana would make a statement that she expected them to marry! That's what Tarrant had told her; that Queen Mirana decided such things and recorded them in a Great Book.

She blinked her eyes rapidly to help clear her head. She still had Tarrant's question to answer.

"Tarrant, I think the suit should be emerald green and gold. Those are my favorite colors of your eyes, and I think they will look positively beautiful together for a suit."

Tarrant grinned almost as wide as Chess.

"Alice, my sweetling and my love, it will be so! So perfect and so good together..." He reached up to caress her cheek and was pleased to see her blush. He never tired of her blushes. Never