chapter 2

The next day Alice was alone at home. Tarrant had gone shopping and insisted that he wanted to go alone as he may bring her back a trinket or two. Her being with him would definitely spoil the surprise. Normally Alice wouldn't have minded, but today she was not interested in her usual activities. She was not expected at the Palace, so she had no duties to perform, and the house was clean and practically sparkling, and she simply didn't feel like reading or even sitting by the lake. What to do?

Oh, yes! She always loved meandering around his Workroom. He had plainly told her that she was welcome there any time, so long as she never disturbed a work in progress. Well, she certainly would never do that, but she had an unending fascination with all the fabrics and sundries of such amazing colors. She never tired of looking at them and feeling them and trying to imagine what wondrous things her Tarrant, her Hatter, could create from them.

She went to the back of the room where there were shelves and a table full of endless varying laces and tassels and buttons and frog closures and such. And lace.

Alice's attention was fully captured. Lace. She'd always adored lace. Above she was familiar with only a few colors and widths of lace for clothing. But here the lace could be as narrow or as wide as one could wish. The widest was about a yard long. That width reminded Alice of a dress Tarrant had created for a Lady Sylana at Court. She had commissioned a pale pink dress with layers upon layers of satin and lace cascading down from her waist to the floor. It was a gorgeous gown. And the Lady had also commissioned slippers, a hat, gloves, and even a reticule to complete her ensemble.

Alice moved on to more colors, of course settling upon ones she personally liked. There was a lovely moss green, deep purple, lavender, and her absolute favorites, the light blues. Alice gazed at the varying widths of pale blue. She wondered how she would look in a gown such as Lady Sylana's but in blue. And then, suddenly, she wondered how would she look in a negligee of this lace for Tarrant?

She giggled. Tarrant had already made her several lovely negligees, but none yet in blue. For some reason, Alice wanted to keep that color out of the bedroom, as she had always associated it with when they first met, and when they met again years later and fell in love.

But now... Well, truthfully she didn't know. But...how would a lacy blue negligee look on her? Of course, she could close her eyes and imagine...but it wouldn't be the same as actually seeing it against her skin. And the room was filled with mirrors. And she was...alone.

Alice knew that what she was thinking was very naughty, but who was around? Tarrant was gone and Thackery and Mally were off on a picnic date somewhere, and Chess hadn't been around for days. Who would know?

Alice closed her eyes, took a deep breath, worked up her muchness and opened her eyes again. She was ready. She quickly and easily shed her clothing. A skirt and blouse with a ribboned bodice was easy, and boots with only socks and no stocking were simple. Now just her pantalettes...there. She had done it. She was standing naked in Tarrant's Workroom.

Oh, goodness! She was standing in his Workroom naked! Why ever...

"Oh, stop it! You're being silly, Alice, and you know it," she scolded herself. Who would know? And besides, it was her house and Tarrant's. If she wanted to be naked in it during the day who was to tell her she couldn't?

Alice faced the nearest mirror and blushed. She still wasn't used to studying her own naked image. Several times Tarrant had stood with her before these very mirrors, both of them naked, and told her to look and see how very lovely she was. How very perfect. How her Bandersnatch scars only added to her beauty and muchness. How each of those scars also served to accentuate her otherwise incredible physical perfection. And he would stand behind her and tease his fingers over her body, tapping and dancing on her hips, her belly, and then move upwards to cup her breasts and play with her nipples. He would breathe against her ear, kissing her open-mouthed on her throat, and do anything to get a reaction from her. And Tarrant was never satisfied with anything less than loud, vocal responses! And he got the loudest one of all in this very room when he had cupped one breast and slid his other hand between her legs. Oh, he had gotten satisfaction all right! But then, so had she...