Convicted of Murder

After I escaped from the graveyard, things only got worse. My ears were pierced by the sound of sirens that surrounded me. Police sirens. I was blinded by blue and red lights. It was getting even later and I was sure that my parents would be worried by now. I glared at my watch to discover that it had stopped at 10:36. What time is it now then? I began to run again and soon enough I was breathless. My vision was clouded but I still kept running. I bumped into something that was quite small and soft.

"All right there love?" a voice spoke.

I gazed up at a young lady in a police uniform. Her caramel-coloured hair was tied back with a few curls leaning on her cheeks. 

"Errr...yeah" my temulous voice spoke.

I swivelled my neck towards a different angle and wiped the blood on my face with my frail hands. When I faced her again, she leaned forward to examine my face. 

"You only look about fifteen, what are you doing out this late at a night like this?" she asked.

"I was... I was visiting my br-brother" I mumbled. 

"Really?".

"Yes. Do you know what time it is?".

She look at her watch and answered, "11:53".

"Oh gosh, thanks". Just as I was about to leave, a policeman sprinted towards us. 

"Is this her, Jane? Must be." he said, wheezing. He gripped my wrist tightly and raised it as he studied my hand carefully. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver object. I tried to tug my hand away. He put the cuffs around my wrist and I screamed,

"What are you doing? Get of me. What have I done?!" I looked at "Jane", the policewoman, "Tell him".

She laughed at his colleague, "That's not her." Clearly, she did not recognise that I wasn't in the mood for laughing. In fact, all I wanted to do was to go home and cry in the arms of my mother who would cradle me till I fell asleep; then, I would wake up and forget all the dismay.

I glared at them both; I was so confused. "What wasn't me? I haven't done anything. Please, I'm really late, I have to go home", my voice was waily.

Jane shot me a look of sympathy, "Rod, calm down! She's just a kid. Do you know what you're accusing her of? Do you really think that she would be behind such a scheme?"

"Oh yeah? Look at her hand, it's got murderer written all over it" he retorted.

I looked at my hand that was covered in blood that was now a shade of burgundy.

He spoke into his walkie-talkie, "We've found her. Over."

"Murderer? MURDERER?" I shouted. 

I was pushing away, violently, but there was no use.

He asked me what my name was and I muttered, "Caprice. Caprice Zirado."

"Caprice Zirado, I am arresting you on suspicion of murder. You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence." he spluttered.

Jane gasped in horror, but to me, it seemed like she was a really good actor. After all, she was watching this whole conversation and I had a feeling she knew it was coming. Did she do anything? Did she say anything? Well I guess she did defend me...

"But it wasn't her! How can you just blame her? Who says that thats even blood on her hands?", she yelled in a sharp tone.

Rod replied with a few words, "Do you know how long I've been in this business for?"

A police car drew in and my helpless body was dragged towards it. The policeman tilted my head and I sat in the car. A car that I had never been in. A car that felt so foreign. Bitter tears prickled my eyes and I struggled for breath...