Chapter One

James' POV

I did get shot, in the leg. I was thankful that it wasn't anywhere worse but it was slightly inconvenient when I was supposed to be running away.

I don't really remember much after that. I kind of blacked out. I remember running along the beach and then the pain in my leg. The next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance.

There are a lot of things that don't feel how I thought they would. Like killing a person. But getting shot didn't feel like I thought it would either. It was sort of like an injection but with a really, really thick needle through the bone. The bullet didn't go all the way through my leg so they would have to remove it.

I woke up in the ambulance, handcuffed to the bed with the police officer sitting on my right with Alyssa nowhere to be seen. At first she didn't notice that I was awake. She had her head down, staring at her phone. I cleared my throat to make her aware. She immediately looked up and I asked her "where's Alyssa?", my voice sounded weaker than I expected. I tried to sit myself up as well as I could, I was still in pain from well you know, being shot.

"Hello James, how are you feeling?" she replied, avoiding my question.

"I asked you a fucking question," I was not in the mood for games, "where is Alyssa?" She tried to avoid my gaze but I stared straight into her eyes. She was not getting out of this one.

"Alyssa is fine, she is being taken into custody by my colleague," she looked down at her phone again. At least it was a start.

"Can I see her?" I asked, still frustrated. She looked at me with pity in her eyes and shook her head.

"W-why not?" She didn't answer. She didn't even look up from that fucking phone. "Fucking look at me," I screamed at her. I didn't intend for it to be that loud. There were too many emotions going through my mind that day, I just needed some answers. She looked up at me in alarm, locked her phone and placed it in her pocket. I suddenly realised that my breathing was extremely heavy. "I'm afraid you can't see her and that's the only information I'm allowed to give you."

Bullshit. I knew she'd give me that kind of crap. The silence for the rest of the journey was deafening. Was she telling the truth? Was Alyssa really okay? Was she in custody? What had she told them? Where was she? Did she know where I was? Did it hurt when I hit her? I felt awful after doing that. I was supposed to be her protector.

We arrived at the hospital about fifteen minutes later because Leslie lived in the middle of nowhere. They wheeled the bed out of the ambulance and into the hospital. It was a weird sensation being wheeled across the hospital, the glossy floor combine with the wheels having no grip what so ever which makes it feel like you are constantly slipping which is not a very nice feeling at all, especially when you're fucking stressed.

The rest of that day was pretty much the same thing on a loop. I went into surgery to get the bullet out of my leg which apparently went well, then after that some doctor would come around every ten minutes and ask me the same fucking questions. "How are you feeling?" and then I normally zoned out after that and just said "it's fine to every question they asked. The truth was I couldn't feel my leg and I didn't know or care for that matter whether it was a good or bad thing. I needed to see Alyssa.