Something Caught

perseus jackson

You see, if this goes well, and it should because my parents are soft, they feel bad for Luke and let him move in as long as he gets a job and pays for his own phone.

They heard I had a boyfriend now, so they were excited. They've always known I was gay. They did understand why I dated Annabeth. Tried to help get me to the point where I could break up with her because I was fine.

We met my parents at Montauk and they were already at the cabin. Everything inside was ready when we got there.

Being they haven't seen me in forever, they were quick to run over and hug me before realizing Luke was here, too.

"Oh my gods, you brought him with," Mom was probably too excited to meet my 'first' official boyfriend. He's my first, yes. Technically. I've been with other guys for like a couple weeks. It wasn't official. They were just kind of curious about being gay and they knew I was gay. Luke is my first,though. All of that happened after we thought he died when Kronos took him over.

So he was my first. But this wasn't my first time with him. He's just no longer dead, and that made me really happy.

"Yeah," I confirmed that it was him for my parents. "What was I going to do? Tell you guys I was going to bring him with and then have him not come?"

"Oh, shush," Mom responded and I don't think Luke was expecting a hug, but he got one. "It's great to meet you, I've heard a lot about you, Luke. I'm Sally, Percy's mom."

"I didn't realize he talked about me," Luke responded, sounding a little curious. "It's nice to meet you, too, Sally. He's told me a lot about you guys. Most of which was on the car ride here."

They found that kind of funny, and they had open arms to Luke, which I don't think he expected but was happy about. Because you know, I'm what he has. Octavian, if he chooses to stay in contact. But I have a feeling he won't. He'll go back and that'll be it.

But I'm what he has. Even if he went back to Westport, his mom is dead. So the more accepting my parents are, the better this is.

It was a really good night. And I just... I mean, it was almost too good of a night. So when I stumbled along one of the family albums and found out it was one of them that had Gabe in them...

It gave me some mixed feelings. There were photos I remember much of. But the one I did remember was my happiest memory with him. Our first vacation with him. Our first time here with him.

When I saw that photo I— I almost started crying because it just hit me.

Gabe is dead.

The realness of that hit me, and it made me feel so bad because he can never redeem himself. I could've helped him in rehab and helped him get sober so we could have more of those memories. I could've helped him get better after I learned about camp and learned that it was possible to turn your life around.

And I'll never get that. I'll never get to have him at my graduation. At my wedding.

He was an asshole. He was abusive towards the end of it.

But he was the guy that raised me. And at the end of the day, I knew he was capable of doing so much good.

And he can never do that.

So much potential. Just gone.

"Percy, sweetie," my mom said as she was passing my room, noticing I was starting to get emotional. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah...." I responded a little slow as she sat down next to me. "Um... Why did Gabe never..."

"I don't know," she told me, rubbing my back as she took the album from me and placed it next to her, closed. "And sometimes it's better to not know. He made his choice. Come on. We were about to go out and roast s'mores. Paul and Luke are setting up the fire."