The Best Show

Sept. 17, 2004
    I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness. One of the best band names out there, and perhaps, ever will be. They come from my hometown, The Live Music Capital of the World, Austin, Tx. Right now, they're about to end one of their harrowing songs about love, or not having it. Their obscure, gloomy, and sometimes catchy songs about love will haunt you eternally. Depression lingers in the night, below the glimmering sky. Most people don't notice it, simply because they're all too familiar with the feeling. Those who sense its doom, become acquainted, ultimately welcoming it.
    That's the vibe of the show at Stubb's BBQ. I'm with my four closest buddies. We have been waiting for this show for months. Not just for this band, but also for the next two bands coming up after.
    As I watch the crowd, I notice everyone is entranced by their music and the sad, blue lighting that gives them their perfect atmosphere for the performance. Everybody is standing, watching, not moving a muscle, but you can tell, they're watching something spectacular. Something they feel like they have seen before, but really haven't. Much like deja vu. It's not to be explained, only seen and felt.
    Although, my friends and I are bobbing our heads, rocking out. We've known this band for a while. Had even seen them once before. For they play here regularly, on account of they live here. Nobody else knows that. Their song ends. The once silent crowd, erupts in yells and handclaps. After a few mere seconds, the screaming dissipates, while the band prepares for their next song. That's when I yell, "Hot Summer!"
    It's one of their more upbeat songs that I love. The lead singer glances my way, looking surprised. Then says, "Okay."
    Laughter befalls from the anticipating crowd. Until, the lead guitar kicks it off with a gentle major chord strummed repeatedly. For those who don't know music, major chords are happy chords, such as this song will be. The entire band joins in. This could quite possibly the best night of my life. And the cool thing about it, I'm stone cold sober.
    The band plays their last song. My favorite song of theirs off they're upcoming album, at the time. The bass guitar starts the song with a slightly groovy feel to it. Initially, it sounds off. Like it shouldn't be apart of their repertoire. Then the rest of the band flows in bringing that warm, atmospheric sound that fits their heartrending, unique style and name.
    Coming up next is one of the greatest bands to come from not just Austin, but the entire state of Texas. Feasibly, the nation. Their name says it all, Explosions in the Sky. Another original name that fits their music. Most of the time, bands name themselves based on their lyrics; however, this band doesn't have lyrics. Not one word, because, they don't need them. Their music speaks louder and clearer than any vocalist could project. Explosions is one of the leading bands in an underground scene, that is progressively growing. It's called Shoegaze. The origin of the name is quite the laugh: While playing, everyone in the band has their head down, eyes staring, or gazing, at the shoes, supposedly. Sounds funny, but as you witness their powerful performance, there's nothing funny about it. The music is so powerful, they were asked to provide the soundtrack to the football movie, Friday Night Lights. In my movie-fanatic opinion, it was a good movie, but wouldn't be nearly as good without the moving, emotional music.
    Their songs ordinarily clock in at around ten to twelve minutes long. Each is like a story. It starts off slowly with a quiet melodic guitar riff, opening up the what will be, epic song. Then comes the rising action when the whole band has joined, making it faster and louder, but still keeping that feel-good, melodic sound. Once the build up feels like it can't take it any longer, they fall into the climax. Both guitars--sometimes three--are playing as hard as they possibly can. One strumming down different chords fiercely, while the other is a fast, hummingbird style tremolo picking. Even though, they're playing different rhythms, they still keep the original melodic sound that you heard in the beginning. Once it has hit its peak, it comes to a halt, leaving a soft electric guitar playing harmony. Thus, begins the denouement. Slowly the song ends. In some cases, they will build it back up again for what could an encore. Their empowering and atmospheric songs are accompanied by perfect titles, such as, "Glittering Blackness," "Magic Hours," and "First Breath After a Coma." Hauntingly beautiful, much like the previous band.