Chapter 4 - The Royces

Isabelle was exhausted.

"Excuse me," someone said behind her.

"Yes?" she answered, turning around to face a slender man.

"I didn't properly introduce myself earlier. My name is Rin Anderson."

"Yes, I know who you are."

"I would like to thank you for accompanying me during the operation. You were very cooperative and easy to work with. You could learn a few techniques, but other than that, you're pretty good. Surely, you're not the best."

Is he complimenting or insulting me? I'll prove to him that I'm better, Isabelle thought.

"Thank you very much, Mr. Anderson. You worked very quickly and carefully. I wish to learn as much as I can from you."

He nodded and walked away. Isabelle sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Look at that red glow you have on your face!" a stranger called out.

Isabelle frowned and turned to the stranger.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, you don't need to hide it! You can obviously tell by your smile. Rin can make any girl feel like that."

"Feel like what?" Isabelle asked.

"Flattered," he answered.

"I was not flattered. Who are you anyway?"

"The name's Kenny. Well, it certainly is nice to see a new face around here from time to time," he said, stretching.

"You work in this hospital? I thought you were a patient since you looked like you were dying."

"Ouch. You're a cold one."

I have to admit, that was a pretty messed up joke, she thought.

"I'm just easily annoyed. Are you a surgeon as well?"

"Nope. I'm a physician."

"Isn't your department on the other side of the hospital? What are you doing here?

"I was taking a break," Kenny said.

"You're not very professional, are you?"

"I am very professional!"

Kenny let out a burp. Nurse Helen paced towards the two of them.

"Kenneth, are you bothering our new surgeon already?" she asked.

"That's Doctor Kenneth to you!" he replied.

"Is that the way to talk to your mother?!" she yelled.

"No," he apologetically said.

"Good! Get back to work, young man!"

"Yes, Mother," Kenny said, leaving.

"I dearly apologize for my son, Ms. Kingston. He won't trouble you any longer," Nurse Helen reassured.

"I'm surprised your son works here as well. He didn't cause much of a fuss, but thank you."

"Of course. Anyways, I came here to tell you that we're having a dinner party for you tonight."

"I appreciate the invitation, but I'm very busy tonight," Isabelle declined.

I mustn't get distracted, Isabelle thought. I have to stick with the objective. The quicker I can dispose of the director, the quicker I can leave!

"What ever you are doing, I'm sure you can postpone it until tomorrow. I mean, it is your first day here!"

"I appreciate the offer, Nurse Helen, but I really can't."

"Sir Rin will be very disappointed, then."

"Why? Will he be attending?"

"Yes, of course. He was the one who told us to arrange it."

The easiest way to get to the director is through his son. If I'm able to gain his trust, I might be able to get the director alone and get the job done.

"Very well. I'll go."

"Great! I will see you after work, then," Nurse Helen said.

Nurse Helen returned to her duties.