Chapter 1: Mira

I am the messenger of the ancients. I have traveled through the times of Egypt. I have brought messages from past pharaohs to future pharaohs and from future to past. I myself am not Egyptian. I am from modern day Portland, Oregon 2050. When they first created the time machine they had the idea to send kids to the past to help ancient civilizations stay around. My family has been doing this for generations. My brother got to help out the future while I'm stuck with the stupid past. Liam is a future maker. He makes the future possible.

His looks were too soft to be thrown into the jungle of Future. He had dark brown hair and big brown eyes. His eyebrows look like little caterpillars. I would look at them when I got angry during a confusing class. I really love my brother. Sometimes I wish he was not around so I could go to the future.

Akhenaten walked into the room. "These people don't understand that changing their beliefs could be the best thing that could ever happen to them," he said to me with deep confusion and frustration in his low manly voice.

"What will this do for the people that your ruling over, should you also consider what they want?" I said sighing, sometimes I feel more like a therapist than I did a messenger. Sometimes I just feel like I'm wasting my time. A couple days before my dad disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle I had been begging him to take me with him because my job was boring and I remember him saying, "Don't tell your mom or your grandma but I think that you are the best messenger of the ancients has ever had."

"I want there to be something different in this world, we have been going on with one religion that who knows is true," the pharaoh wanted me to understand. He grunted under his breath. He had never had anyone understand him if only he could say what he could see in his mind. I just wanted to help him and get out of the past because Liam was going to take me to the year of 3050 exactly one hundred years from modern day for lunch and at this rate I was going to get there when our time actually gets to 3050.

"Hey so how about you go talk about it with your people and I will get back to tomorrow morning?" I asked not trying to sound rushed. I am not sure if he heard me or not. He was looking out the window and grumbling something about the reason why life is so complicated.

"Sure," he said not turning to look at me. Sometimes I ask myself the same question. Wouldn't the world be a better place if everybody agreed about the same things? I pulled out my watch out of my coat pocket and typed in 3050. There was a zap and I was gone. Time traveling used to make me sick but now that I do it almost everyday, I get used to it.

There was another zap and I appeared in a forest, I had landed on a hill. I looked down the hill and saw Liam. I walked down to where he was waiting "Hey the forest is back, nice job!" I said, the last time I had been here he was dealing with people cutting down trees because they found a formula that changes wood into gold.

"Yeh, it was hard but it happened," he said. Looking up at the forest it might may be one of the last forests in the world. He wanted my job, during his free time he would always read history books. I don't know why he hasn't ever asked to switch jobs with me.

"Hey tomorrow is your 15th birthday, are you excited?" Mira asked, Liam looked at me with his eyes crazy with fear and disbelief written on his face. "What's wrong? I thought you liked birthdays!," I looked at him questions in my eyes.

"Are they still sending me? Have they forgot?" He whispered looking nauseous. Where were they sending him? Who was they? What had they forgot?

" What do you mean?"I said louder than I intended to. I thought my brother told me everything. I had thought.

"Oh nothing just some thing from a bad dream about, some crazy alien guy that was planing to take me on my birthday,"he said, I knew he was hiding something. I wanted to know. I had kept to myself once we started having lessons with Mr.Sharp's (the most strict teacher in the world that has ever lived.) You might think that pop quizzes and tough grading is bad. That's the least of my problems. "So, where do you want to go for lunch," he said trying not to look at me.