Chapter 3

Today is my first day of therapy. It is currently eight o' clock in the morning. I packed my cell and a word search with some snacks in a bag. I then jumped into the shower cranking up the hot water. It felt good to have warm water hit my skin. I grabbed my strawberry shampoo and washed what was left if my hair. I then washed up my body with a bar of soap that smelled of mangos and peaches. I got out and slapped on some lotion and put on some dark ripped skinny jeans. Then put on my Rolling Stones T-shirt. I hid my hair with a black sequence beanie. I slipped on my black sandals and was ready to go and we were on the road. According to the GPS we were heading to St.Judes Hospital. This car ride was going to to be long and tedious. I reached for the radio and turned on my favorite song "The Story of My Life" by One Direction. I sang in my head while looking out the window until I drifted off to sleep. "you have reached your final destination" called out the GPS. I peeled open my eyelids to behold a colossal hospital. People were swarming in and out every second like a busy beehive. I collected my bag of things and followed my mother into the building. There were many people in the waiting area. They were either reading a magazine or watching Operah on the TV. We signed in and the old woman immediately took us to the back into a room full of medicine and one piece of machinery. The walls were painted pink and decorated with posters of boy bands such as 1D, my favorite. in the middle of the room was a bed with clean white sheets and a rather fluffy pool. It was as if the room was meant for me. It almost felt like home. I sat on the fresh bed while my mom sat beside me in a cushioned chair. A tall doctor with spectacles slipped in the door and introduced himself. He told me how chemotherapy worked and finally hooked me to the machine. I could feel the medicine through my body limb-to-limb through my blood stream. I decides to do my crossword puzzle to take my mind off things. I eventually became bored so I asked my mom to turn on the tv. "Today a boy by the name Augustus Walters died from cancer. His funeral was held today packed with friends and family that will miss him dearly. May he always be in our hearts." announced the news reporter. I just stared at the screen imagining myself in his place. Just wondering how people would react to my death. Would people care or just go on with there everyday lives? Would anyone come to my funeral besides my mom and just possibly my dad? Let alone would I even die from cancer or some other fatal disease? I shuddered at the thought of my own death. I looked over at my mom who was fast asleep. Her forehead held deep creases of stress. I could only wonder how she would react to her own daughter's death. her one and only child.