brakes

"no, no, no, oh god no"

I go through my closet to try and find a shirt nice enough to meet Grace's family in. I still can't believe she dragged me into this. I had dinner with her what, ONCE? She's already inviting me to all of the family functions. I am way in too deep. I don't even like the girl. Do I? No. No I don't. The only girl I've ever liked, well, loved, and more than likely ever will, is Imogen. I'm not letting anybody replace her. Nobody ever can replace her.

*bzzz*

My phone lit up with a text from Grace.

Grace: I'm so exited for you to meet my family! Are you almost ready?
Kyle: I'll be there in 15!

I can't even fake enthusiasm. I don't want to meet her family but I don't want to let her down, either. She's too innocent, she hasn't seen the world yet. I don't think she's ever felt hurt, and I don't want to be the first person to change that.

After much deliberation, I chose black skinny jeans, black dress shoes, and a red button up shirt. The last time I wore these shoes was at... never mind.

I decided against my usual beanie and opted for a hat-free hairstyle. I didn't look like myself, but wasn't that the point? I want to make a good impression. Why do I care so much? I don't.

I looked in the mirror and put on my black glasses with a sigh. Here we go.

I spray myself with cologne before walking out the door, making sure to grab my house keys, phone, and wallet on the way out.

Kyle: I'm on the way!
Grace: I'll be waiting!!!

I plug my phone into the aux chord and "Good Times" by All Time Low starts playing. I raise the volume on the radio all the way and head over to Grace's.

"Hey you!!" Grace says as I pull up into her driveway. She was already waiting outside for me, potato salad in hand. She was wearing a sleeveless yellow dress and brown strappy sandals. Her hair cascaded down her shoulders in curls.

"Uh, hello? You okay?"

I snap out of whatever daydream I was in and jump out of the car to open the door for her.

"You look uh, really nice" I say and immediately wince at my words. "Uh, really nice?" WHAT was I thinking? 

"oh thank you!" Grace says with a giggle.

"I can't wait for you to meet my aunt Shelby, I've told her so much about you!"

"I can't wait to meet them either!" I lie through my teeth.

"This is so exciting, we haven't had a new person at a Beckham family bbq in a while."

I pressed down hard on the brakes of the car, stopping us instantly.

"did you say... Beckham?"

"yeah, why? That's my last name."