Invitation

I like you.

He said, "I like you."

That's what he said to me.

Preston Stavar...likes me? Me? Me?

But why? How? Since when? Sure we've been in school together since elementary but we're not that close. Are we?

I start to wonder what one defines as "close." I know Preston's birthday, his middle name is Carl, which he hates. I know where he lives, that he's an only child and has a cat named Coco, who he adores judging by the fact that all 150 photos on his facebook page are of his cat. There's like maybe 6 or 7 of them together, I'm not kidding. His parents are going through a pretty nasty divorce, though I heard that from gossip but not from him. He likes to read and listen to music, doesn't like carrots and he hates heights. Wow, I know a lot because the more I think about it the more I realize that I know plenty of little things about Preston that I've learned over the years.

So, does that make us close or is that just typical for a small town?

I groan after burying my face into my pillow. Beside me my phone is going off. Lifting my head up, I lean over to peer at the name on the screen. Seeing that it's Sam, I ignore it then turn my phone on silent. I'm not in the mood to talk especially when I know they're going to ask about what happened and play dumb.

I am afraid I'll be obvious about something happening. There's no way I can talk about Preston especially when I don't know if he's ok with others knowing. I never heard any rumors about Preston being into guys. So he's gay? Bisexual? He's never dated girls though but he never dated guys either, at least that I know of.

What the hell is going on?! This is another prank, right? There's no way Preston, the Preston Stavar, likes me. What do we even have in common? Our personalities are like oil and water.

They do say opposites attract though...

Wait, no, that's not what I'm supposed to be thinking. I have no idea what to do here. Am I meant to act like he didn't say anything tomorrow? We share so many classes together! Do I ignore him? No, that's such an asshole thing to do but isn't talking to him and pretending nothing happened also an asshole thing to do? Well, shit, this isn't how I thought today would turn out but that's the story of my life in general.

Groaning, I slam my fists against the sides of my pillow in frustration until my little brother, Brody, comes running into my room without asking. Oh, he's so dead.

"Caleb-" He doesn't finish before he is put into a head lock. With a surprised shout, Brody falls onto my bed with me curled around him like a snake, playfully ruffling his hair while he shouts at me for being a jerk.

"Should have knocked."

"Why? Were you doing something perverted?"

I practically implant my fist into his skull. Brody cries out for mom, who actually sides with me and shouts back, "Learn to knock!"

"Ha!" I laugh, shoving Brody off my bed so that he stumbles away.

"I just wanted to come play that new game you got." Brody throws me a pout while he crosses his arms. "Why do you have to be a jerk?"

"I'm your older brother, it's my job." I smile, getting up afterwards to start up Shadow of the Colossus, which is the game he's talking about. Brody claps his hands in excitement and takes a seat next to me on the bed so we can play.

I actually don't mind spending time with the little shit. He's 10 so he has his moments of being super annoying but most of the time he just wants to play video games or go to the park. Honestly, I rather he be in here with me than wallowing in confusion for the rest of the night. It's easier not to think about Preston and his "confession" with my brother around. However, that doesn't solve my problem, it simply pushes it aside until later that night after Brody and my family are asleep and I'm left wide awake alone in my room.