· Chapter 5 Part I ·

Excuse any spelling or grammar errors. Sorry for the wait you guys. Enjoy Part One.

One Month Later...

It's been a month since Leon left. He mailed his family a letter saying he had to leave because he needed a new start. The letter didn't say where he was but he sent five thousand dollars with the letter. He'll be sending money every month to help his grandparents with Buttah and Lamar.

A few things have changed in this last month. Buttah got a job at mechanic's shop thanks to his grandfather. He wanted to help his grandparents with the bills and work on moving out. His little brother Lamar was enrolled in a all day football camp so no one would have to worry about a babysitter. Buttah picks him up everyday at five, no later.

Bernard and I are still seeing each other.  We've been on a few dates. I really do like him. He was sweet and patient. Never down my back on why we aren't together. I actually like us without the title. It's much simpler.

I was laying down on the couch watching tv with my mom. We were having a mommy-daughter day. She decided we should wear matching outfits. So we both wore baby blue shirt, tan skinny leg jeans, and tan & black sandals.  We went to get our hair and nails touched up. She took me to Waffle House for breakfast and Ruby Tuesday for lunch. Mommy even let me have a little shopping spree on her dime. It was a great day and was ending perfectly. BJ was bringing my mom some sushi and me some soul food from his mom's restaurant on his way home from work.

Yes, I've met his parents. I love them and they love me. Just like my mom loved Bernard. They a hot mess together though.

Just then then the house phone rang from the hallway. I got up and went to answer the phone. Only people call this phone is telemarketers, my grandma, and jobs for me since I started applying. I was hoping that was someone telling me I had an interview.

*Phone Conversation*

Keilani: Hello?

Unknown: Hello, may I speak to Redd?

Keilani: I'm sorry but no one by that name lives here.

Unknown: Is this Keilani?

Keilani: Um... yes?

Unknown: Never thought I would hear your voice...

Keilani: Excuse me who am I speaking to?

Unknown: Tell Mona to come to the phone. Tell her it's her old friend Deuce.

I placed the phone on the end table confused as I walked back into the den where my mom was still watching "South Beach Tow". She was laughing screaming, "Yassssss,Bernice, yassssss! Beat ha ass! Ol' ratchet hoe."

Don't let my mama fool you! She about as ratchet as they come. She just know how to turn it on and off. Finally she noticed my presence and faced me. Standing up she asked,"Who was that, baby?"

"One of your old friends. He said his name was Duece?"

"Duece? I don't -"

The door bell rang. That's my baby. We told him knock and stop ringing the bell. Hard headed.

"Ma, the Duece guy is still on the phone. Go pick it up. I'm going to let BJ in."

She didn't get to reply before I left her and went to the front door. I quickly opened it to my man with not only our food but a bouquet of flowers and a teddy bear. Bernard was still in his white work polo, khaki pants, and Polo boots. My baby was looking good enough to eat.