Chapter 6

I know you've been waiting patiently and here it is. Sorry for the wait lol. Love you guys & thanks for the support.

Another day of dark skies and endless rain. It was six in the morning but the sky looked no different from the previous night. I sat looking out the window as the rain poured down outside. The rain reminded of the tears I've been shedding the last three days. Still in the same clothes with Buttah's blood on me and the images of Char half dead on my steps still play in my mind. I honestly think I'm going insane from being held up in this grimy ass motel room. Bernard has blown up my phone with calls and texts but I was told I couldn't communicate with him. I turn to see Buttah sitting on the bed watching the news in basketball shorts with his arm wrapped up. My mother was locked in the bathroom whispering on the phone. I shook my head then looked out the window again.

What the fuck has happened to my life?!

***36 Hours Ago***

Honestly I am scared out of my mind since pretty much facing death head on. I want to know who wants me killed! I have so many mixed emotions. Buttah had finally calmed me down enough to get some sleep. It seemed my eyes had just closed when there was a knock on the door. I shook Buttah to wake him up.
"Oh God. Buttah get up"
He mugged me as he sat up. He had finally gotten to sleep after driving and dealing with me. I know he was exhausted.

"What,Kei?! What is wrong now?," he whisper yelled.

I pointed to the door letting the fear I feel reflect my facial expression. He pulled his gun from the side of the bed and preceeded to the door. I followed closely behind. I have no idea what I was gonna do ,but I always had Buttah's back.

He looked through the peep hole before snatching the door open with his gun drawn. I hid behind him. Waiting for the inevitable.

"Lavell, if you don't get this gun out my face. You ain't too old to get a good old ass whooping. You must've forgot my mother is Roberta Evelyn Carter. Now move so I can bandage that raggedy arm of yours."

We stood staring at my mom entered the motel room. She was dressed in a white tank top, a Jean vest with capris to match and black gladiator sandals. Her classic red hair was hidden under a worn baseball cap and had a pair of Versace shades to compliment everything.

I pulled her into a bear hug. My mom always made things seem fine even when they weren't. This was one of those times. She played in my hair as she hugged me.

"Hey babygirl. It's gonna be okay. I'm here. We'll talk after I get Buttah straight," she said pulling away.

As she reached into her purse, she pulled out a first aid kit. My mom motioned for Buttah to follow her to the bathroom. He followed and closed the door. I sat on the bed listening to Buttah groan and yell in pain; waiting for them to finish.

Five minutes later, Buttah finally walks out and sits next to me on the bed with his arm now wrapped up. My mom grabbed the chair from the corner and placed it in front of us.

"We need to talk, Keilani."

Instinctively, I turned the tv off and sat up straight. This is serious. Buttah prepared for the big news as well.

"Well, baby girl, I have to be honest with you. I'm not just your average boutique owner/ mother. Those men that shot Char were after you and me. Keilani baby, I am the leader of The Family. The Family is a group of assassins that are hired to right the wrongs of the world. We are your modern day Robin Hoods that rob from the rich and give to the poor. We don't just off anyone. We do a thorough background check of the mark and the hitter. In other words, who wants them dead and who is to be killed. The person after me is from my past and they are out to kill me and anyone affil with The Family or anyone they acre about. They shot Char because along with her mother she was apart of The Family. After a job went bad, I moved them out here with us away from the heat. Obviously that didn't work. So we all have to move to Atlanta for awhile. Buttah too. His family will be fine. We'll get them when the coast is clear. I never wanted you to have to deal with the consequences of my past but unfortunately this is the case. I love you, baby girl. I promise nothing will happen to you as long as I live."

I sat there stunned. My mom a damn criminal. She kills people! Buttah didn't look as surprised as I did.

I turned to him,"You knew?!"

He looked me in my eyes and nodded. Then shrugging his shoulders, simply responded,"I suspected she did something illegal. I know the signs. Granddad use to be a gangbanger back in the day. I don't judge. "

I looked at my mother. She wore so many emotions on here face. Her face showed signs of stress on her beautiful face. If she wanted to tell me the truth, then I want answers to everything.

"Is that all? Is this why I have no father? Why I have no family?!"

"The Family has different divisions. There's the the Assassin division, Narcotics division, Smuggling division, Monetary division and Undercover division. I'll tell you more about that when you're ready. Yes, your father did lose his life because of the people from my past. Reasons why you stayed with your grandmother for awhile when you were younger. That's also why I don't bring family around. I don't want anything to happen to them."

Buttah rubbed his chin before asking "So what now?"

My mom rubbed the back of her neck uneasily. She sighed as she replied "I have good news and bad news. Kei baby, you're finally gonna meet some family. Your cousin Zhane' lives in Atlanta with her little boy. Y'all are about the same age. We are staying with her until I can find yall a place and me a place. Congratulations sweetie, you're moving out on my dime. Now here's the bad news, you have a week to adjust because after that is your initiation into The Family. I -"

"I don't get a choice!" I yelled out. My mom gave me that look. I quickly apologized then repeated the question verbatim.

"Keilani, they are after you as well so no you have no choice. I'm sorry," she replied before standing up like she was about to leave.

"What about BJ?" I questioned as the tears surfaced. My mom sighed. She took her time before answering.

"As of right now, no contact with him. You'll be able to talk to him soon. I'm not sure if you can see him again. If he can take a big secret like this then... we'll discuss him moving to Atlanta with us. I'll be back. I'm going to get something to eat and clothes for you two."
With that, she walked out the door.

***Present***

My mother walked out the bathroom as BJ appeared on the screen pleading on information and my safe return. My heart hurt to watch him crying on his mother's shoulder. My mom gave me a sympathetic smile but it wasn't helping. Buttah noticed the tension and changed the channel.

My mother proceeded to tell us we are leaving tomorrow for Atlanta while she's leaving tonight. Buttah car had been taken to a chop shop to be fixed and change the appearance. So for now Buttah will be the owner of brand new white Cadillac Escalade Luxury truck. My car would be there in a few weeks along with the rest of our things. Char and her mom are moving as well once she's out the hospital. Char is a fighter because she should've been dead. But she made it through and is going day by day.

My mom left to find us breakfast. I laid on the bed to catch a nap. Buttah continued to watch reruns of A Different World. I was falling to sleep when he started talking.

"I wish this wasn't happening to you, Kei. But you need see alot of the people aren't squeaky clean. Including me. I use to sell drugs that's kind how I met you and your mom. She convinced me to stop and started paying for anything my family needed. That's why I suspected she was into something illegal. Your boyfriend is far from perfect as well but I'll let you see for yourself. And Lee is apart of The Family. That's why he disappeared it was to prevent this mess from happening."

I laid there, not moving an inch. I continued to fall asleep. This was alot to take in in my lifetime. Y'all thought I was a real tough bitch before yall ain't seen nothing yet