Ch 3

This chapter kinda stinks, oh well. 

"Alright, I want you to write a full five page essay answering this question: Was Gatsby great? Now that we have evaluated his character for three weeks, you should be able to develop your own opinion. Personally, I believe he was great." Mr. Anderson said. I rolled my eyes. Of course now eveyone would write how Gatsby was great, and get good grades for going along with it. I know I told myself I would try to please my aunt, but five pages? I mean honestly, teachers tell us that we are so unmotivated, but maybe it's because we have to fill assignments with nonsense. 

        The only good part about AP Literature was that it was my last period on Mondays. I walked outside to come and meet my friends Georgia and Emily. Cassie went to a private school outside of town.

        "Hey, why haven't you called us?" Em asked, with a concerned look on her face. Emily was the nicest of all of us, always furrowing her eyebrows when she was worried or upset, which was always. I warn her all the time that she'll get wrinkles when she's older, but she just replies by telling me my hair will fall out by the time I'm 25.

        "Sorry, yesterday was a major hangover day. Like worst I've had in a while." I replied, pulling out a cigarette. They looked at me with annoyed looks, but I lit up anyways. If any teachers caught me, I would be the one with the cigarette, not them.

        "Hey!" Georgia said suddenly, directing her eyes to a tall figure with curly hair, Harry. That was her boyfriend since freshman year. I don't know if they are truly in love like she always says. Ever since junior year, he's been having a pained face every time he has to hug her.

        "Hey babe." He replied, hugging her as if she had pooped her pants and he couldn't fully touch her or else risk getting infected, proving my point. He looked over at us. "Hey Em, hey Life Mistake." He said, addressing us. I rolled my eyes.

        "That's the best you could do? "Life Mistake?" Obviously getting older has obviously not only made you look more like a middle aged man who doesn't know how to wash his hair, but it has also dulled you creativity." I replied. He smirked, obviously enjoying my bad excuse for a comeback, but stopped as soon as Georgia gave me a nasty look. She has been concerned in the past that I have a thing for Harry. As if.

        "Well, let's drive home shall we?" Emily asked, getting into her car. I was the first to be dropped off, thankfully, because I couldn't take another moment of one sided PDA in the rear-view mirror. I walked into my aunt and I's one floor house and went over to the computer. I started my English essay, got a page done, and then went to go grab chips. I looked at my aunt's note again, and remembered the boy. Calling a random stranger who saw me wasted didn't sound appealing, but it had to be done.

        I typed in the number and put it on speaker, all the time writing my next page. Did I find Gatsby great? Well, I watched a ton of YouTube videos about the book to make up for what I didn't pay attention to and concluded he wasn't. I heard someone pick up so I stopped typing.

        "Hello?" A female voice answered. 

        "I'm looking for a-" I looked at the note, but no name. "A guy?" I cringed at my awkwardness.

        "Liam? Hold on, let me get him." I continued to type.

        "Hello?" A deep voice asked. 

        "Yeah this is Natalie, the trashy girl you helped at the club Saturday night." I could sense his uncomfortable feelings from the phone.

        "I wouldn't say trashy. How are you?" 

        "Fine. Look, I want to thank you for taking me home and helping me the other night, you're a cool guy."

        "No problem, I did what everyone would do. If you ever need help, I'm a call away."

        "Yeah sure, thanks. I owe you, whatever as long as it's under twenty dollars."

        "I'll consider that."

        "Alright, well, uh, thanks. Bye."

        "Bye." With that, I hung up and went back to my essay.