Chapter 13: I Love and Hate Surprises

*Maddy's POV*

"Well, Miss Evans? Answer it. I'm sure we all would be genuinely interested to see who could be so important as to interrupt this class."

"Uh, okay." I say, pressing the answer button. I'm pretty sure you can hear how much my voice is shaking with anxiety.

"Hey!" Matts voice rings throughout the room loudly. A bunch of girls, including Aubrey, gather around to try to get a glimpse of his face.

"Um, Matt," I start.

"Wait, let me go first." He interrupts. "What did the- oh." He stops, finally seeing the girls' faces behind me and realizing what he's done. Aubrey starts trying to grab my phone from my hands. I try to keep it away from her, but eventually she snatches it from my grasp.

"Matthew Espinosa! OMG, hi!" Aubrey says excitedly.

"Um, hi." Matt replies awkwardly. I snatch the phone away from Aubrey, glaring at her in the process. Before I can turn to the phone screen to tell Matt off, I look up and see Mr. Smith holding out his hand expectantly.

I sigh, knowing that if I don't just hand it to him without complaint, I might not see my phone for the rest of the year.

The only thing I manage to do before Mr. Smith takes it is glare at Matt's sorrowful face on my phone and grumble,

"Thanks a lot, Matthew."

*Matt's POV*

"O-Oh my gosh, dude!" I laugh at the joke my friend Johnny just told me, nearly choking on the peanut butter and jelly sandwich my mom made me. Yes, my mom still makes my lunches. Don't judge.

My first thought is, 'I have to tell Maddy.' 

I know that she'd laugh just as hard as I did.

"I've got to make a phone call, I'll be right back." I tell my friends.

"Sure thing," Ryan says. I walk out of the Cafeteria and into the hall for some privacy. I decide to facetime Maddy,  since it's the closest thing to face to face.

Mads<3

I smile at the contact name Maddy put in as I press the call button.

"Hey!" I smile when she picks up.

"Um, Matt," she starts unsurely.

"Wait, let me go first." I interrupt her. I figure she'd want to hear a joke like this to brighten up her boring school day. "Whatg did the- oh." I stop talking, seeing the crowd of girls around Maddy for the first time. All of a sudden, there is a great shuffling noise with a bit of grunting and I am put face-to-screen with a girl that's face is caked with make up.

"Matthew Espinosa! OMG, hi!" She squeals loudly, batting her eyelashes.

It's Matt. "Um, hi." I reply. How awkward.

After that comes more shuffling and grunting and then the phone is back on Maddy's angered face. "Thanks a lot, Matthew." She grumbles  before the call drops. I cringe at the use of the name. Maddy has always called me Matt, or my favorite, Machew. I don't think I've ever heard her say my full name, except for when we first met.

Great, now thanks to me, she's probably  gotten her phone taken away for the rest of the day. Also. judging by her harsh tone and the prominent glare on her face, I don't think Maddy's very happy with me.

"It's Matt." I whisper to myself. I shuffle glumly back into the cafeteria.

"Why the long face?" Ryan asks.