JACK RANDALL & ME

I had a story. A week ago, there's one thing that made my minds wonder and I really wanted to know it. This was about a man who always came at night around Old Steine street near Steine Garden, which situated opposite the café where I work. I didn't know what he was doing by 9 until 12 when the time café closed. At first I didn't care, but I baffled of him because his presence was always there. His style was like a musician, a guitar which was carried and very mysterious behind his eyeglasses. I was so curious.

I'm sure as hell he'll come again.

That night while wiping out a lot of glasses I had washed then put them on the bar table neatly, I glanced a few seconds straight to the street behind the wide window. The man showed up there, again. He was sitting on a park bench with same gesture. Well, my curiosity led my mind. I was going to look for perfect time to meet him.

After finishing my work, I tried to go across the street planning to make a bit conversation with him. There were lots of questions in my minds. Outside was very cold. So I wore a thick jacket and brought a glass of hot coffee I made from café. First, I just came as visitor but with one aim. I sat on the one of park benches beside that man who was still listening to his iPod. Then, I looked at him. He took his guitar and started to play it. It's just an excerpt of melodious and pleasant when I heard.

"Are you a musician?", I asked.

He stopped playing a few second. "Yeah, kind of. I mean I just love to play this song".

"That was a beautiful instrument I heard".

"Well, thank you so much", said him, smiling at me.

Then we made a conversation until late about one hour. His name is Jack Randall and he was a good man and friendly on me. He was a musician and a student at one of music art schools in Brighton. He said that he just came here every night to look for some inspiration of his song. He also said that there's a woman he wanted to meet, then my thought was playing. Well, she never showed up to him. But, Jack would keep waiting for her until she came for one reason.

It'd been 3 days since Jack and I always spent together every night after I finished my work. In the same place we met, he played his music and I listened. He also showed me the same song then he started to write the notes on a sheet of paper. I didn't understand about the music notes but they were incredible structure to see. Yeah, I just could sing the Blues, not this.

"You made this notes?", asked me, unbelievable.

" Yes. Why?", said him, smiling.

"Nothing. I think, you're really good in music, Jack".

He smiled again at me. Then he explained to me about the notes while playing his guitar. Beautiful, I could feel what the song was about. The title was One for You, he named it. I guess he made it to the woman who never came up to see him.

But suddenly, he asked me if I would come to his concert on Sunday at 8 p.m. His song was going to be played there then I accepted his invitation.

***

Sunday. I entirely prepared with looking good of my appearance like my dress, shoes, hair, and make-up. I hadn't much confidence on them but tried to settle down. When I was outside the ballroom at Jack's school, I didn't see him. So, I decided to wait him and check back the tickets I brought. But, it's very weird thing.

Time showed 8.45 p.m. Jack still didn't come. I thought there might be something on him. I couldn't call him because he didn't give his number phone to me. When I decided to go inside alone to ballroom, I sought the properly our seats according to number of tickets. They're founded at middle line of seats. I sat on while my eyes focused to the majestic and beautiful decoration on the stage. More various kinds of musical instruments arranged there. The show was starting but Jack still didn't come.

***

I didn't know what happened on Jack. In fact, he didn't come to see his own song that had been played by wonderful other musicians on the stage. He broke his promise and if he came to Old Street again, I would ask some explanation of him. So, when I walked to the corridor exit, there were three men talking something about the music, especially discussing Jack's song. I stopped behind. The one thing making me surprised was their conversation led things I couldn't understand about Jack. I vaguely heard words like it's too bad he's in trouble. I had to know it.

"Excuse me, Sir. I'm Irina. You just say about Jack. Jack who his song already had been played on the stage?", asked me, keep calming.

"Ah, yeah. Jack Randall. We know him. Can I help you?" said one of those men. "I am a friend of Jack, just a couple of days ago. Your conversation umm... I inadvertently heard about him. I just want to know what happen on Jack".

The men were silent for a moment. "You don't know what happen to him, Miss?".

"No. I don't know. We've met lately at Old Steine street. And we're supposed to meet here, but he didn't come", I said, confused.

"What? You met him? That's impossible, Mam. Jack is being treated in hospital. An accident hit him two weeks ago. He was in coma now".

"I'm sorry", asked me in deeply shock.

It felt like a knife stabbing in my heart. His statements made me truly shocked and I could think nothing. A sense of disbelief controlled my mind. How come could it be happened?

But this was the fact. Was Jack whom I'd already met the release of his soul?

Jack Randall.

Who are you?

***