Prologue

"Ma'am, how soon would you like it to get there?" the woman behind the counter asked for the third time.

"Uh," I paused. "It doesn't really matter." As I stood on the opposite side of the counter, I prayed she wouldn't pay much attention to me. I was sweating too much as a thousand emotions coursed through my body. I shouldn't be doing this.

"Okay ma'am." She slapped down the printed label with no return address. "Is that all?"

"Yes, how much is it?" I questioned as I dug out my wallet.

After she replied, my shaky hands pulled out a now sweaty five-dollar bill. I tossed it on the counter while I stared at my feet. I just wanted to get the hell out of here.

She handed me my change with an unsure look. "Would you like your receipt?" she asked slowly.

It would probably make a good souvenir one day; remind me of the huge mistake I'm about to make. "Sure."

The woman printed it out as she tossed my package into a bin to be sorted out later. She handed the receipt over. "Have a great day!" she said awfully enthusiastic. It was making me sick.

My throat was too dry to form any words so I just nodded before turning around and making my way out the door I had entered just minutes ago.

I slowly made my way out to my truck while staring at the small piece of paper in my shaky hands. I took a deep breath as I tried to get my nerves under control. There was officially nothing else I could do. It was out of my control once again.

But this time, it was forever.