Chapter 14

I didn't get any sleep last night. My mind refused to let me settle. Thoughts run through my head like a continuous cycle. No sooner did one leave that another one returned.

It had been more than six months since I had spent a night alone. I never thought that I would ever get this use to it, sharing my bed with another. I thought I would never feel that attachment, that yearning for another to be asleep next to you. Even though your unconscious, their presence looms over you like a ghost, always looking out for you.

Last night, that feeling had disappeared. I always thought that it was my job to protect Eliza, my soul purpose in life. I didn't know it went both ways.

Treat her well. That's all I ask

You have my word

I bet her father would be rolling in his grave after the way we fought last night. Probably haunting me as we speak.

But I was doing the right thing. Konrad wanted my wife and was willing to sell his shares in the docks to get her. Wasn't I doing something heroic? Trading my life for hers. Why was I the only that saw that?

Groaning, I sat up making my heart pound with the sudden movement. Cursing, I yanked the covers off me and stumbled into the bathroom.

After visiting the toilet and washing my face, I made my way into the wardrobe. What to wear? Should I wear my black suit, or my even blacker suit. It didn't really matter considering what I had planned today.

I found everyone in the kitchen, including the little devil that sat patiently by Eliza's feet. Suddenly, I felt left out. The boys were laughing at some joke that I had missed, even making Eliza smile.

When they heard my footsteps, the laughter died and Eliza's smile disappeared.

"Morning," I greeted, my voice far from friendly.

"Morning," the boys said in unison, chuckling to themselves.

My eyes found Eliza's, watching as she turned away from me. Great, I guess she's still pissed. She looked almost as crap as I did, masking those dark circles under her eyes with makeup.

"Morning, Eliza," I huffed, failing to mask the hardness in my voice.

She ignored me, going straight for the coffee. Rex grumbled from at her feet, as if he had taken her side.

My eyes turned to the guys, spying their amused faces. It brought to life the dying fire inside my stomach, trying to make matters worse.

"Oi, you lot, get upstairs, now," I barked, shooing them away.

Each one dropped their mugs, and basically ran out of the room. With them out, the fire settled for a moment and I could talk to my wife alone.

"I'll get out of your way as well," Eliza huffed, turning around to make an escaped.

"Eliza," I growled, snatching her arm and holding her back, "Just listen to me for a second."

When she remained quiet, I continued.

"Whether you understand it or not, the fight is going to happen," I told her, whispering in her ear, "But I need you to –."

"To tell Harald, I heard what you said last night," She snapped, refusing to look at me.

"Yes, but I need you to be on my side," I corrected, squeezing her upper arm, "Please."

She was silent, keeping me in suspense. Come on Amore, please be on my side.

Without saying anything, she yanked her arm out of my grip and stormed for the dinning room door. Rex bolted after her, barking and crying. Damn it.