PROLOGUE

Please don't hit her!" I heard my mother plead, begging, screaming for him to stop. "Please, I beg you, she's going to die if you keep hitting her like that!"

To be honest, I didn't know how to react. I mean, what would you expect from a five year old? Watching her sister getting bashed right in front of her, wasn't I afraid? I was mortified, but not a single tear escaped. Not a sound, not even the sound of my breathing could be heard. I stood there across the room stunned, I couldn't move nor could I speak.

I watched as my father grabbed her hair and banged her head against the wall repeatedly. I wasn't sure if I was scared by fact in a few years it'll be me instead, or if I was disgusted that I couldn't do anything to help the only family I had.

As a kid, I couldn't really keep up with my surroundings. But I knew trouble when I saw one, and this wasn't  trouble. This was pure nightmare. A nightmare I couldn't escape, a nightmare I couldn't forget, a nightmare I couldn't wake up from because this nightmare that only people have in dreams was in fact, my reality.

He kept banging and banging until she fell to the ground. Her body hit the porcelain marble floor along with blood dripping from her head. With a kick on the stomach she shut her eyes and fell unconscious. The next thing I knew, my mother crying and carrying her to the hospital.

And I was left alone..