prolouge

The rain hits the front windshield and they're swiped away mercilessly by the wipers. Their soft thumps becomes white noise as the dark haired man in the driver seat waits anxiously. He taps the steering wheel with his thin, lovely fingers, eyes never leaving the front door of a two story home.

Baekhyun was about to go out and forcibly enter the home with a thousand secrets when the front door finally opened. Baekhyun watched as a familiar tall figure came out and left the door ajar and ran down the drive way. He was carrying a duffle bag which he used to try to shield himself from the rain. Baekhyun turned on the car and unlocked the passenger seat.

Chanyeol slid in gracefully and shut the door behind him. He was slightly wet, his chest was heavily going up and down and he reached over  to Baekhyun. A firm, warm hand was placed against Baekhyun's cheek and they leaned forward to kiss. Their tongues immediately started dancing a familiar dance but they were so pumped up with adrenaline that their lips didn't stay locked for long.

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun chokes as warm lips press down on the soft, cool skin of his jaw. "We have to go."

Chanyeol kisses Baekhyun firmly before pulling away and reaching behind him for the seat belt. Baekhyun put the car on drive and entered the empty street. A second later three shots were fired and they instinctively turned around. A male figure was standing in the middle of the street, drenched in rain, arms stretched out with a gun. Another shot rang out and it hit the review mirror on Baekhyun's side. The glass shattered and then another shot rang out and it hit its target.

Baekhyun felt a burst of pain flourish on his shoulder. He cried out in pain and immediately Chanyeol leaned towards him. "Baek?? Baek are you alright? Baek!"

"I'm fine," Baekhyun managed to stammer out. It shouldn't have pierced his skin, it shouldn't have hurt but Baekhyun has been weak for a while now. All those years of sun exposure and the recent limit in his feeding made it possible for a bullet to pierce him.

But he can't dwell on the pain, not when Chanyeol is relying on him to take them to safely. Baekhyun's foot never rises from the accelerator and he forces his arm  muscles to tense and he shouts in pain but his concentration on the road never waivers.

"Baek?" Chanyeol says softly.

Baekhyun ignores his mate and his hands clenched the steering wheel so tight it starts to bend despite how weak he is. There was a soft thump of the bullet falling to the floor and Baekhyun gasps as if he's been underwater for years and he's finally gotten a breath of air.

"Fuck," he spits out as he makes a sharp turn, the wet gravel making the car slide too fast on the road. Baekhyun knows he should be careful. He's immortal but Chanyeol isn't. The shorter man glances at the 20 year old who is chewing his lip with worry and Baekhyun feels warmth in his chest that he shouldn't be able to feel.

"I'm fine," Baekhyun says, running a finger against Chanyeol's bottom lip. "It's going to be fine."

Chanyeol nods and leans forward to kiss Baekhyun on the cheek. "I should be the one protecting you."

Baekhyun playfully rolls his eyes at Chanyeol's unnecessary need to be the 'man' between the two of them. "You're human Chanyeol," Baekhyun reminds him.

Chanyeol is silent for a moment. "I don't want to be." He takes a deep breath. "I want to be a vampire too Baek."

"No," Baekhyun says immediately, ignoring the yellow light and  slightly speeds up to miss the red light. "Absolutely not Chanyeol. No one wants this life."

"I love you Baekhyun." Chanyeol says firmly. "And if being a vampire means we can be together than I'm okay with that."

Baekhyun shouldn't be pleased. He should fight more, protest more for Chanyeol to change his mind but he can't bring himself to do it. He's loved Chanyeol for years and he wants to be selfish.

Baekhyun ignores his throbbing shoulder and intertwines their hands together. "Okay."