Freckles //

The air chilled my body with its bite of frost, a tender nibble to remind me to wear a coat. But it's difficult to prepare for a weather that has never visited your town before. Everyday I walk outside to visit the one thing that makes me wake up in the morning, the rather large wall hiding a field of weeds and flowers behind it. It wasn't the flowers that I came to visit though, it was the wall. Its tall structure seemed to loom over me as I would stare up at it. The wall's body was covered in bruises and dark colors all the way across it. It seemed to look as if it was in constant pain. Like it was crumbling into a pile of nothing but rubble and the dust of broken stones lodged into it. The vines of the plants behind it seemed to be the only thing holding it up. Their green tendrils tenderly grazing the wall's crumbling stature in a way to which they almost looked like a pair of nature's lovers.

As I stared, a sound rose from behind me. A girl, she was small and chubby in the face but fairly skinny everywhere else. Her body was being swallowed by a rather large sweatshirt, her legs were covered with nothing but shorts and goosebumps. Her hair was a striking rose color, its dark red almost outdoing the wall's deep burgundy bricks, it curled around her face, falling messily down her shoulders. She was fair with sullen eyes and chapped lips.

It wasn't the small frown that stood out almost frighteningly against her illuminating face that caught my attention. Or that fact that she knew of the wall and the flower patch behind it. It was the sunk in freckles that dusted her cheeks and nose like fallen sunflower seeds, they didn't stand out much, not enough to catch anyone's attention. But for some reason they reminded me of the wilted flowers behind the wall, not that I had ever gone past it though. It wasn't a place for my roaming to occur, but rather only something for me to admire. The girl gave me the same impression.

how pretty