Chapter One: Anya Kavet

Anya Kavet

I sat on a branch high up in a tree. My lips were pursed, my legs swung through the air, my eyes locked on the sun as it set. So many thoughts raced through my head, all surrounding the source of their life; the two thoughts I have been struggling with. “Do I miss my home? Do I want to return?” I bounced off reasons of why I don’t want to go and why I do want to go. I changed my mind so often I couldn’t figure out what I really thought. I really shouldn’t even be pondering on this topic for so long, knowing it is a dangerous one for me.

A breeze picked up in the wind and it soared around me, blowing my long dark brown hair behind me. I closed my dark chocolate eyes and tried to focus on nothing but the wind. It didn’t last long. All my thoughts came racing back. I opened my eyes. The wind struck them, making them water. I blinked, than continued staring at the sun, hoping to get a hold of everything.

My name is Anya Kavet. I am half Elf and half human. I am forty-nine years of age, though I look like a fifteen year old (my elven side is immortal and stays youthful, I have that specialty). My elven Grandmother is Queen of the Elves, my mother and I are princesses. I usually live with my mother and grandmother in Elet, but whenever they get tired of me I get sent to my Father, here in Agerm.

Fifty-five years ago Mother and Father had fallen in love. According to what Father says, six years later Mother left him. Mother thought that he was to “weak” compared to elf men, and supposedly, couldn’t do anything right. So she left him. After returning home, Mother realized she was pregnant with me. I don’t think it was the happiest day of her life, at least her and my Grandmother don’t act like it. It’s hard for them to be with someone human. For some reason they have a problem with them. Elves and humans are different. Elves tend to be gifted with more intelligence. They have a connection to the earth unlike Humans. The two races are supposed to be different, but they aren’t supposed to hate each other. At least that’s my opinion.

Two years ago I came to live with my father. I am to return to my mother in three days. But, I’m unsure if I really want to return. Mother and Grandmother don’t treat me the way Father does. They get frustrated with me for reasons I don’t even know. I don’t want to upset them and I don’t really want to deal with them. But, I have some training that I want done and my best friends are there. I can’t just put aside my elf family.

I take my eyes off the sun and look around. I love being high up in the trees where no one else is. I look down at the ground, some fifty feet or so below. “It’s getting dark,” I think to myself, “I better get on down and head back to Father’s.” I grab the basket of berry’s I’d picked, before climbing the tree, and carefully climb down. I follow the trail, in the forest, toward the field Father owns. I come to the forest every day, to walk or pick berries or to try to practice some nature power. It’s nice to have time to think, and I always feel free in forests. Home is where ever a tree is.

The sun is gone and the moon is in the sky when I spot Father’s big long field. He has just harvested the wheat that had been growing. I follow one of the paths, in the field, up to the wooden house. A barn is over to my left. Both buildings aren’t too big but it’s enough for the two of us.

I open the door to the house. I walk in and set the basket of berries down on the table. “Father?” I say, trying to figure out where he is. “Father?”

He doesn’t respond so I head outside to the barn. I pass a garden between the house which grows cabbage, carrots, beets, radishes, and strawberries. Just some extra things to keep us filled with food.

In the barn, when entering, there are four stables to my right. They hold a cow and two horses, one stall is empty. To my left is a coop holding twenty chickens, a few roosters and many little chicks. Upstairs stores hay and food for the animals. “Father?” I call out.