Chapter Five: The Dragon

Author's Note: Not proofread. Point out any mistakes, please.

I open my eyes. The room is dark. I look around me and realize there aren't any windows, no light is able to get in. I hear the breathing of my friends on either side of me. I slowly rise, being careful as to not bump into anything or anyone.  I make my way to the closed door. I open it and am met with sunshine. It shines through the front windows.

I step out of the room and close the door behind me. I look around the small house, only to realize it's empty. Where is Rife? I step into the small kitchen and pull out some fruit and vegetables. I prepare them and set them on the small table in the front room. I figure it's time to wake Siana and Traxin, I do so.

I shake both of them, trying to get them to wake. "Good-morning. It's time to get up."

Siana rolls over, "What hour is it?"

"Not sure," I reply, "But it's bright out."

"No it's not..." says Traxin sitting up.

"Oh yes it is. Step outside the room."

"Maybe in a minute," he says. I hear him crash back down on the bed.

"You two need to get up. I have some food in the front room. Rife isn't here, I'm unaware of where he is. But when he gets back I assume we will be leaving for the Mountains."

"Okay, will do" 

I walk out of the room, making sure to leave the door open to shine in light. I walk back into the front room and start to eat the food on the table. I hear the door open, and turn my head to see Rife walking in. He seems out of breath.

"Are you alright?"

"Yea, i'm fine."

"Where were you?"

"Checkin' to see if those evil creatures were still outside of the city."

"Are they?"

"Nope, our wizard friend ran 'em off."

He takes a look at the food on the table. "No meat?"

I raise my eyebrows, "Elves don't eat meat."

"Oh, er, right. Sorry." He awkwardly makes his way to the kitchen. 

Siana and Traxin step in the room.

"What is the plan, Rife?" I ask.

"We eat, gather our things and head out."

"Okay," I say.  We finish eating gather our things and head out.  

We exit through the city's only gate, walk around the city wall, headed North. We all rode on horses, I could tell that Rife wasn't used to 'em. But he didn't complain. 

We got about two miles from the city, we had so far rode in silence, when I spoke up. Asking the question that had been on my mind since the night before.

“Rife, who is Icundus?" I slowly look to him. Hoping he would answer my question.

"He is a wizard. Why?"

"A wizard!" says Siana. "How old is he?" The elves have, of course, heard of wizards. But there are so few out there, most don't ever cross paths with one. 

Rife whistled a long and low whistle, "I'd say a couple thousand years."

"How is that possible?" says Traxin, "I've only heard of our nation, the Elves, living that long."

Rife shrugs, "He is a wizard. I suppose they have fancy magic for that stuff."

A thought suddenly came to mind. "Did he know the Dragon?"