Chapter 5

The next morning, I found myself in the lab with Bruce and Tony. The night had been long, full of discussions and plans, but sleep never really came. It was too quiet, and too much was at stake. Instead of tossing and turning, I decided to join Bruce and Tony in the lab, hoping the work would take my mind off the looming threat of Loki and his Chitauri army.

The hum of machinery filled the room as Tony and Bruce worked side by side. Tony, with his usual flair, was adjusting some kind of holographic display, while Bruce, ever the scientist, studied the data with a level of focus I'd come to admire. I wasn't a scientist like them, but I had my strengths. I could feel the air around us—every shift in temperature, every movement. It was a subtle reminder that I was more than just another agent, more than just Tony's sister.

"Tony," I said, my voice breaking the silence, "you look like you're enjoying this too much."He smirked, not taking his eyes off the display.

"What's not to enjoy? I get to play with some of the most advanced tech on the planet, and I've got Banner here to keep me on my toes."

Bruce chuckled softly, glancing up at me. "He's not wrong. Though I have to admit, it's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of."

"Just don't blow anything up," I teased, leaning against the counter. "We've got enough on our plate without adding a lab explosion to the list."

Tony glanced over his shoulder, grinning. "No promises, sis."Before I could retort, the door slid open, and Fury walked in, his face a mix of frustration and urgency. His single eye took in the room, lingering on Tony and Bruce, who had paused in their work.

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?" Fury's voice was sharp, cutting through the air like a knife.

Tony, ever the master of deflection, casually leaned back, folding his arms. "Uh... kind of been wondering the same thing about you."

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract." Fury said.

I could sense the tension rising, and I shifted my weight, ready to step in if needed. But before I could, Bruce spoke up, his tone calm but firm. "We are. The model's locked, and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

Tony nodded, his usual bravado still intact. "And you'll get your cube back, no muss, no fuss."As if on cue, one of Tony's monitors flashed, displaying a collection of files marked "SECRET." His eyes narrowed as he studied the screen. "What is PHASE 2?"

Before Fury could respond, the lab door slammed open, and Steve stormed in, slamming a HYDRA weapon onto the table with enough force to rattle the equipment. I instinctively flinched at the sound, my eyes flicking to Steve's face—he was pissed.

"PHASE 2 is SHIELD using the cube to make weapons," Steve said, his voice cold as he shot a glare at Tony. "Sorry, the computer was moving a little slow."

Fury raised his hands in a placating gesture, his voice smooth, like he was trying to explain away the situation. "Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're—"

"I'm sorry, Nick," Tony interrupted, swiveling the monitor towards Fury. The screen now displayed the full plans for PHASE 2, and even I could see how damning they were.

Steve's voice was bitter, almost resigned. "I was wrong, director. The world hasn't changed a bit."

Just then, the door slid open again, and Thor and Natasha walked in. Thor looked as stoic as ever, but Natasha's eyes were locked on Bruce, a storm brewing behind them. Bruce caught her gaze, his expression shifting from confusion to anger.