Chapter 8: Temptation

"Hold still," Susan says.

She's curling my hair with a hot metal tool. I'm supposed to go ask for a job as a waitress today, then I'm back at the Scrubbs' house until I can move into my own flat. It'll be difficult, but I know I can do it.

"I don't even know half of the items on the menu," I say, "What if someone asks me what's in it?"

"Don't worry about that yet," Lucy says as she paints my fingernails pink, "Just focus on the interview for now."

Peter's gone back to his flat in London, leaving the younger three with me while their parents are at work. He offered to show me around the city later and look at potential places for me to live, but I didn't give him a straight answer yet. I want to see how this interview goes first.

Susan will be back in America in a few weeks to finish her final semester of school, she's told me wonderful stories about it. She goes to New York University, which, oddly enough, is in New York City. Maybe I'll get to travel there someday. Edmund is almost done with his second year of studies at Cambridge University, not too far from Finchley. He promised that he would come visit me in his spare time. Lucy is starting her university studies this autumn, she can't wait to get started.

"All done!" Susan beams, "You look great, they'll certainly hire you."

I feel a bit stiff, but I do look professional by English standards. I've even got silky gloves to match my outfit.

"Are you sure these will be okay for winter?" I ask.

"We have a coat for you too," Lucy giggles.

I'm glad to be around people that look out for me.

***

I step out of the restaurant. Susan and Lucy perk up their heads.

"Did you get the job?"

I nod, trying to hold back the stupid smile spreading across my face. They both hug me with gratitude, showering me in compliments.

"When do you start?" Lucy asks.

"This weekend," I say, "They need all the waitresses they can get, apparently."

"I'm so happy for you," Susan hugs me again, "It took me ages to get my first job, you got lucky."

"She earned it," Lucy says, "Let's go celebrate with everyone!"

I'm overwhelmed with relief about the job, but something is bothering me. It's like a tiny spark in my brain that was set off by something mysterious. A lot of things have been suspiciously working out for me lately, but my head is telling me that my life is going to take a very dangerous turn soon.

Lucy raps on the door of her house. My mind is in a different place when Edmund opens the door, looking tired as ever. He's probably been sleeping this whole morning. Susan explains that I got the job and we're going out to celebrate while I stare off into space.

"Mel?"

I take a sharp breath. It's just Lucy and I. Edmund and Susan have gone inside to grab money for our outing.

"What's wrong?"

"I-I don't know," I stutter, "I don't feel well, can I sit down?"

"Yeah, come inside," she holds me up and pushes the door open, "Follow me."

Lucy attempts to take me into the sitting room, but I get extremely lightheaded and collapse on the hardwood floor.

"Melanie!" Lucy cries. She scrambles to my side and tries to lift me up, but my body is limp. "Susan, help!"