Fourteen

- Seriously Ruby, I can't see what the problem is with this one: short, black, simple and elegant. That's how it's supposed to be.

- Perfect is how it must be. This is very important for my career: an interview in a prime time programme that millions of people will watch, it's broadcasted even internationally. I can't make a mistake.

- You've been in The Ellen DeGeneres Show before, I don't understand why you're so nervous this time – I shake my head looking through the hangers, we've been here for two hours and she hasn't found anything she likes yet – Besides, this kind of interviews are prepared in advance, aren't they? They sent the script of the show to your manager, you already know what she's going to ask you.

- Yes of course... well, more or less – she hesitates for a moment – She'll ask about my next film, about the sneakers advertising campaign and... my future projects. Things like that.

- See? You've nothing to worry about. Last time you were dressed in white and to be honest you blended a bit into the same colour armchair so why don't you try this one in dark blue? As elegant as black but different. Do you need help with the zipper? – A sultry smile plays across my face.

- Don't you dare to... not in Alexander McQueen fitting room, please. We already pushed our luck in that Los Cabos swimming pool. I don't want to risk being half naked on Twitter so behave – When she finds out that I'm pouting she lifts her index and moves it in a gesture of denial before walking to the fitting room chuckling. I look at my watch; damn, it's getting late.

- Ruby I need to come back to the office. I have an appointment with a customer and I don't want to be late, also I have to get things ready for my trip to Chicago. Can you manage to choose the dress alone?

- Yes, definitely I'm buying this blue one so no problem. Thank you for your help. Are you going to watch the show live?

- I don't know, I'm going to be very busy this evening. But we can't watch it together tonight. I'll call you.

With great care I poke my head out of the shop door. I can't see any paparazzi but I'm not sure, they usually wander around Melrose Avenue like a pack of wolves ready to hunt unwary celebrities shopping. I put my sunglasses on, keep my head down and I walk fast down the sidewalk trying to reach my car as soon as possible. I guess I'll get used eventually to this hounding but at the moment I prefer to avoid them as long as I can. Finally I get to my car still without paparazzi in sight, sitting behind the wheel I take my sunglasses off and drop my bag on the passenger seat doing my little victory dance with my hands in the air. Luckily I have tinted windows, if they catch me goofing around like this the press articles would be very funny for sure. Now I just have to get to my office, parking as close as possible, and then avoid some photographers again. I sigh in resignation, I know this is the price to pay for being... whatever Ruby and I are. My phone ringing snaps me back into reality again.

- Iselen, your customer has just phoned. Something urgent has come up with his family and he's had to cancel your appointment. Are you still with Ruby? You can go with her to the interview.

- No Zoe, I've just left the shop – apprehension send a shiver down my spine when I imagine me going with Ruby to the TV studio. People would think that we have a formal and consolidated relationship... but we don't know what kind of relationship we have yet.

- Are you coming then? I leave right now, I have my own appointment in Studio City with the hunting lodge guy.

- No, I'd better go home. I have to get things ready for my trip to Chicago and I can watch the live interview. I'll cook something good and we'll have dinner together.