Path of Loneliness

Even surrounded by comfort without compromise, I tossed and turned. My mind slipped between dream terrors. It was hard to imagine everything transpired in a single day when it felt like a lifetime ago I saw Vector's smile. My blood stirred rife with anger. Sherwin was right, I needed to do this.

So, as my sleep cycle came to a close I was ever eager to begin my day. However, rituals will be rituals. The elders had me go through a mending treatment and another soak in the geothermal. My wounds were still apparent, but they were clean and on their way to recovery. When I finished, my white robe was replaced with a strange black tunic and dark blue leggings. The top was made of an unusual material, silky smooth appearance but wore like cotton, much like the harder fibered leggings that clung to my legs. Strange to wear two types of clothing, when the body was one. Only when we labored away did we ever wear more than one, as it were easier to clean what got dirty. But the Elder assured me that it would make sense in Terran's world.

As I followed Elder Wheldon, we traveled back to the auditorium. There were no crowds there this time, only Maester Purcell. She stood where my pedestal should have been, but now it was replaced with a dark glimmering lid. Was that the entrance? Had I stood on it that entire time?

My legs quivered a little as I approached. Reality sunk in. Soon, I would no longer be a part of Gaia.

"Are you nervous?" Elder Wheldon asked.

I shook my head and held my hands firm.

He laughed, "It's perfectly natural to hold some fear of the unknown. Where you're going, hardly anyone comes back to give us an account of what awaits. You're brave enough to face it, no doubt there, but always stay on your guard. Fear helps that."

Advice? I smirked, with how short on support I was, I seized it. "Thank you Elder."

He nodded and remained silent till we approached Maester. She leaned against her scepter for support. She was old, that much I knew. Still, seeing her so feeble, I wondered how much longer she would remain with us. Would I see her on my return?

"Greetings," she said and stood taller at my approach, perhaps attempting to hide any weakness.

"Greetings," I responded, and bowed.

Her mouth arched slightly into a smile. "You may leave, Wheldon." She remained silent as she watched him nod and walk away. As he vanished her gaze returned. "I'd ask if you're ready, but I see that fire in your eyes. I dare not waste any effort to sway you. However," she gestured around, "now that we're alone, I can speak to you in private. Do you care to hear the adage of an old sage?"

I perked up and smiled, "And what is that, Maester?"

"Not everything you heard of the Terrans are folklore. Things we take for granted, like shelter, health, food, and peace are sparse. They're a brutal savage lot fighting for whatever scraps they can get, and waste more than they need. Perhaps this is because they have a thousand tongues between them, making it hard to communicate and to find solutions to their problems. Certainly, you'll find harsh and dire times. But never forget what you're seeking. You can't change them if you lose yourself to them.

"Still, what you seek to do is a noble venture, and won't be easy. So, I shall instill in you the will of Gaia. With her protection, you'll be protected from the harsh electromagnetic radiation of their sun and withstand their animosity. With her wisdom, you will be able to speak any of their tongues fluently and learn their ways quickly. She will guide you if you listen hard enough."

"Thank you—"

She shook her finger. "Be warned, Ada, after a Terran year, her wisdom and protection will fade. Your skin will turn orange, your body will weaken, and your grasp of language will falter, along with your memory. So, it is important you return on time, lest you be left in such a state for all of time."