Chapter 3: The Drive

December 30

I feel like I'm falling. Dropping and dropping, no going back up. It's like one of those dreams where your walking and then suddenly, the ground is missing and you're falling to your death but you wake up before you explode into a million pieces.

My eyelashes feel as though they are glued to my cheeks. I force them open and look around, my eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Am I alive? How?

I push myself off the leather of the seat I'm on and rub my eyes. My arms prickle with the coolness of the late evening breeze and I shiver a bit.

Wait, I'm in a car. We're moving. Who's driving?

My legs, bound together by a thick rope, drop to the floor as I sit up fully. The dashboard lights fill my vision but my brain clouds. What is happening?

A hum fills my ears, a familiar tune. My breath hitches in my throat as the light of the dash cascades over my driver's eyes. I'd know those eyes from anywhere.

Dr. Humber seems unaware of my presence, as I'm cloaked in the darkness, and continues to hum "Heat Of The Moment"

The tune reminds me of my dad. He would always have his CDs stacked neatly in the backseat of his car, as he said physical copies were better than digital. Every time I would get into the car, he'd point into the backseat eagerly, anxiously awaiting my pick of the day.

"I see you're awake." He suddenly remarks with looking away from the open road. My breaths come out quicker as my stomach begins to twist into a knot.

"W-What am I doing here? What's g-going on?" He chuckles at my responses and turns towards me. His eyes glow in the low light and I become terrified.

I've been kidnapped.

"I think you should lay back down. We still have a few more hours of driving," he turns back, "I left you a bottle of water back there."

I shrink into my seat and clamp my hand over my mouth. My anxiety kicks in and I mentally shove my hand down my throat to stop the noise.

My brain is cramped with escape plans, I have to fight. From any news report or Investigation Discovery show, most people know that fighting back causes trouble. I could go straight into physical fighting, but I'm weak. I could grab the wheel, but I could wreck the car and kill me and him instantly. Worse of all, he could turn around and shoot me.

"Why are you doing this?" I try as hard as I can to have a confident tone.

"I have my reasons, you'll find them out at a later time." I watch as his hand tightens on the wheel. The car's engine and my shaky breaths fill the air.

"Y-You can just let me go, I promise I won't tell. Please, just take me back." His cackle is low and deep.

"Riley, you can't be serious. I can't do that, you'll understand."

My hands ball into fists and I punch his seat.

"You can't just do this to me!" I instantly regret my action.

"Listen, just shut your mouth and sit back. Close your eyes and we'll be there before you know it."

Tears fall from my cheeks and I lay across the cool leather seat. That's it. I'm never going to see my family again.

"Don't be upset please, it'll get better. I promise." The tone reminds me of the way he would speak to me at the hospital. Sweet, thoughtful.

How could he have done this to me? What could he have possibly given me that would make me black out the way I did? But most importantly, how did he get me out of the hospital without them noticing?

"Lay down, Riley. Get some sleep, please."

I shake my head as the tears stream faster. I shouldn't listen, I shouldn't do what he says. I lay my head down on the cool leather and close my eyes. I keep my hand over my mouth.

I watch as he flips on the heat. It flows through the vents and blows against my face. I turn around so the heat hits my back.

His hums fill my ears and I start to feel sleep drift over me.

"You're going to love it, Riley. You're going to be so happy. I promise you we'll be happy together."