two - what is that for an idiot?

If I have to describe my room with one word, I'd say 'simple'. You can't say more to a bed, white walls and a simple bureau expect that's freaking hot in here.

"The view is beautiful," I say to Grayson, although I'm not near the window.

Grayson laughs, "Your dad said you can furnish your room like you want to."

I look around, circle round the grey carpet and look inside the built-in closet. The sliding doors are mirrored and much cooler than my closet at home. There's also my own little bathroom. I take a look inside the bathroom and raise satisfied my eyebrows. The shower looks like it's never used before.

"You like it?" Dad asks behind me. I spin around in fright because of the sound of his voice and he greets me with the biggest smile. I didn't hear him coming inside, "I'm sorry that's so hot in here. I'll turn on the air conditioning."

"It's alright," I say, "I like this room." It's almost twice as big as my room at home in Portland. As simple as it may be, it's impossible to not like it.

"Are you hungry?"

Questions are obviously the only thing he's good at it right now, "You were the whole afternoon on the way. You're probably starving. What do you wanna eat?"

"Nothings, thanks," I say "I think I'm going jogging. Stretch my legs and such."

I don't want to interrupt my daily jogging routine and a little jogging round seems to be a good possibility to discover the neighborhood. I can see the doubt on his face as wrinkles his forehead and sighs. Like I asked him to buy me marijuana.

"Dad," I say emphatically and make a friendly but unreal smile. "I'm sixteen and I'm allowed to go out alone."

"At least take Grayson with you, " he suggests. Grayson raises his eyebrows - whether curious or surprised, I can't tell. "Grayson," Dad turns around to Grayson, "You like to go jogging, don't you? Would you go with Noah? So she doesn't get lost?"

Grayson smiles at me compassionately, "Sure. I'll go change my outfit."

He probably knows the feeling of overprotective parents which treats you like a five year old kid.

All in all my start in Santa Monica seems to be an amazing one. It is the first day and the tension between my dad and me is unbearable. I'm forced to take part at a barbecue and I get an escort for a simple jogging round. It's my really first day and I already regret that I agreed to come here.

"Don't walk too far," Dad says before he heads downstairs.

He leaves the door open, although I shout he should shut it.

"Do you wanna go now?" Grayson leans against the doorframe.

I shrug my shoulders. "If it's okay."

He nods and leaves my room. At least he shuts the door.

I don't want to spend much time in this house, especially since I know the air conditioning doesn't work, so I grab my suitcase, pull it up on that soft bed and unzip it. Pleased about the fact that my stuff is undamaged and complete I dig for my sport clothes, which are at the bottom as they were the first things that I packed

As I head into my bathroom to put on my clothes, my phone vibrates to remind me that it has to charge and it just occurred to me that I was supposed to call Grace after my arrival. So I lean against the sink and call her. I have my best friend on speed dial so it doesn't take long until she answers the phone.

"Hellooo," she answers with a silly voice, which sounds like a mixture of a comic figure and a sports reporter.

"Hellooo," I answer in the same voice and laugh but then I sigh, "It's the pits here. Couldn't I come over to you the whole summer?"